1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by raptorman03, Jun 3, 2005.

1. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

Hey guys im looking in to some new tires and im leaning twards the goodyear mtr. What are you guys runnin and what do you think i should get.

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Nolan not trying to be a jerk but please do a search, you will find enough info to keep you busy for days reading up on this subject.
    Todd

3. raptorman03

i did and i dident fid any thing that would tickel my pickle

4. BASIC

BASIC Member

raptorman03,sir,I'd buy,Cooper Discoverer M&S,I have B.F.Goodrich CommercialTraction,a good tire but I've heard great things about the Coopers.BASIC.

5. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Diddo what Basic said, although I just bought some Cooper Discover S/T's. I want to see what they will do in the snow.

William

6. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I am going to buy Kuhmo All Terrains ($84) or Mud Terrains ($100) on Tirerack.com check them out, if Im not mistaken they are all in the excellent range rating.

Jason

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

excellent

Jason, what do you mean by "excellent range rating"?

8. Stik208

9. raptorman03

10. BASIC

BASIC Member

raptorman03,sir,whatever you buy,make sure its snow and ice rated,there will be a symbol on the tire of a mountain with a snowflake in it.This shows(i belive)that the RMA(ruber manufactures association I think)certifies the tire.The tires I mentioned have it,I know theres a Bridgestone Blizztak,and a Finnish brand of tire(Nokiam maybe)that has it,I'm sure theres others,good luck.BASIC

11. Mick

from Maine

12. Stik208

Im not sure what you mean, I can't find the load range on the site.

Jason

13. Mick

from Maine

Click on the link I provided. Scroll down to the bottom of that page. The load range chart and discussion are there.

14. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

I haven't had good luck with Goodyear's - 2 sets and both cracked with lots of tread left; one set was replaced under warranty... I've heard lots of similar stories.

Cooper makes what looks like an MT/R clone - they're a pretty agressive tread but they're siped pretty well. I think they just came out so I doubt there is any track record in snow yet...

BASIC said it right - look for the little symbol of the mountain and snowflake on the sidewall of the tire for the "severe winter service" rating. We have had good luck with BFG's and Dunlop Rover RT's and they're both severe snow rated...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Tirerack rates tires based on user feedback hence "excellent" not load range.
    Goodyear Workhorse Extragrips are fantastic in the snow but not good for summer. I have Toyo Open countries which are very good in both.

16. Mick

from Maine

Thanks for clearing that up. I told you "assuming" was always dangerous. I get 50 lashes with a wet noodle.

17. Stik208

The All Terrains are Load range E so is that what I need?

Jason

18. Rappa

Rappa Member

You absolutely positively no doubtedly cannot go wrong with the BFG All Terrain KO's. They are unbelievable in the snow. My 6.0 will bog down before I spin the tires while pushing a pile back. I have yet to get stuck in 3 years of plowing some pretty hairy driveways with a fresh set of these tires. They cost a little more but they are worth it. And they make your truck look much more aggressive. I am a big fan...

19. Mick

from Maine

Jason, I'm watching your thread about this on both sites. Anyway, Load Range refers to the number of plies (E means 10 ply). The load you will be putting on the tires will determine the Load Range.

If you're putting these tires on the Ranger in your signature, then a Load Range E is WAYYY too big (I have E's on my one ton to carry a 9' plow and Vbox sander). Besides, I don't think tires for that or a half ton come in "E". The best advise is to visit a tire shop (not a store that also carries tires) and have them match the tires to your vehicle and what you intend to do with them as far as load or driving conditions. Have them explain the advantages of one over the other. Usually, you'll find "you get what you pay for" meaning the better the tire, the more it will cost. Spend some time getting familiar with the characteristics of the "good/better/best" models in several makes of tires. If you can find a dealer with the inclination - ask questions. If he sees you're serious, he'll be glad to engage in a serious discussion - beyond which one "looks good" and "is the cheapest".

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  20. raptorman03

i have had two sets of BFG allterains and i dont think they are worth the charmin that i wipe my butt with.