1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Tires....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Jan 2, 2005.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I'm looking into getting some new tires for me 2000 Silverado. Right now, I have 245's on there; do you think it would be a bid deal to go to a larger tire, something like 265. I was thinking of getting some BF Goodrich all terrains like I have on my 79 chevy, those are 31x10.5's

Take a look at the Kelly MSR 235/85/16 this is what I am getting.
  3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Stick with the BFG's! As far as size, I try not to oversize too much, but admit to having some 255's on a 93 Chevy I used to own. Call a tire shop to make sure the fatter tire won't rub first. That would be my best suggestion. As much turning as we do plowing, you don't want to worry about rubbing. Good luck with your decision.
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I used to have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD. I put BFG All-Terrain 285's on it with plenty of clearance from rubbing.
  5. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

I have 33x12.5x16.5s on my truck. No matter what anyone tells you, they plow AWESOME! I actually plow with them, not my brother's freind's cousin's yoga instructor's plowman that someone saw spin in the snow...
  6. NAC

NAC Senior Member

I just order a set of tires today should be in tomorrow. BF Goodridge Commercial Traction 235/85/16 these are just for the winter season.
  7. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

what is the height diff. between 245/75 and 235/85 ??
  8. NAC

NAC Senior Member

Not sure exactly around 2". But if you go Tirerack you can pull of tire specs.
  9. Up North

Up North Senior Member

My 2000 Silverado came stock with the 245's but the dealer put on 265's before it left the lot (my brother in law bought it, then I bought from him a year later). I would definitely go with 265's at least. But like Boss said, you should even be able to put 285's on...however I've heard some guys talk about it seems to sap some of the HP when doing that. I don't know...I'm not a mechanic and don't pretend to be one, but I'd check into first.