1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Tires?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DareDog, Oct 11, 2014.

1. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

its time for new tires on the truck (daily driver non plow truck) , what to buy? looking at Good Year Duratrac are those good? want something that will be good in snow also.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search. Literally hundreds of threads about tires of every iteration. Been beaten to death.

3. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

What he said.

4. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

I swear by BF GOODRICH A/T TKO's:eek: THE bigboy tire . quiet n rugged . snow self cleaning kings

bfg.png

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Duratracs are good for plowing, but they're not the best for daily driving; tend to be a little slick. I've got the Duratracs on my plow truck, but am switching back to Cooper Discoverer M&S on my daily driver truck, which is also my backup plow truck.

6. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

My son and I use BFG TA KO's.

7. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

the only snow tire of the snow pro

8. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

postmaster . MIA . must be researching or licking his wounds .

typical drivel induced uncredible , incredible wabbash I keep referring about here . now he

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Very happy with my DynaPro ATM's. Quite on dry, great traction on wet, snow and ice. Spend most my time plowing in 2wd with 600# of ballast. A lot here like the Duratrac's from what I have read. I can just get a better deal on the Hankooks.

10. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I really like my Hankook Dynapro ATm's Good wear, great in the snow. BFG's are ok if you want to replace them yearly.

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Bfgs need to rotated constantly. Had them and they wore all kinda funny

12. JAJA

JAJA Member

Firestone destination AT

13. mule585

mule585 Member

Cooper ST MAXX its the best tire I've used in 10yrs I run them on all my truck and rarely use 4wd. Awesome tire in the snow mud and pavement

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I run GY Dura Tracs on both of my trucks, great tire, a little to aggressive for daily driving for most folks, don't get more than about 32-35K out of them.

Use to run BFG AT's on several different trucks, at the time they were probably the best options around but there are equal tires for less out there now. The last set I had was in '08, I only got 20k out of them and rotated every 5k. I never got more than 35k out of them.
    I know a couple of guys that run Cooper Discover ATR's
    http://www.discounttire.com/cooperAtpHtp.html
    One of them have about 25k on them on a Tundra and they appear they'll last well over 50K. Good price point and I'll probably run these in the summer.

15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My Dad runs Good Year Wrangler Dura Tracs on his Tundra and I also had them on my Chevy and we both love them. My new Tundra has BF GOODRICH A/T TKO's and I love them so far. I'm really looking foward to seeing how well they work for plowing.

16. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

thanks for info,

now im leaning towards the Good Year duratrac i think i can get them for $155 a tire. its time for new tires ones on there now are almost bald.

17. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Regardless of the tire manufacture, you should be rotating your tires every 6K miles per most maintance guide lines. I rotate my BFGs every oil change (about 5k miles) and they still look like new.

To the OP, if you want to save a couple bucks and like the BFG tread style, check out the "Treadwright" website and take a close look at the "Warden". A buddy of mine just purchased a set for his truck for about half of what a new BFG cost

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  18. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Cooper AT3's for me. Best rated tire for 3 years in a row.

19. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

I'm on the second set of Goodyear Duratracs and they do great in the snow, although they are on year round. Mileage is around 30k-35k at most. Also used the general grabber as well and they are not to bad. Tires used on Chevy 2500hd crew cab and k2500 extended cab. Make sure and rotate.

20. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I have been running Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos for the last few years on my GMC 2500. They are great in the snow and all around driving. Never been stuck and could plow smaller storms in 2WD. My only issue with them was that I tow a 6,000 lb trailer for my day job and the weight on the rear end seemed to wear down the tires quicker than I would like.

I just bought a set of Hankook Dynapro ATMs. I'm hoping they're just as good in the snow and handle the weight of my trailer a little better. I do swap my tires in the summer, but pulling the trailer a few days a week during the winter has been tough on tires.