1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Tires

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sargex595, Jan 5, 2011.

1. sargex595

sargex595 Member

Just bought a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T 265/70R16 for my 2005 GMC 2500 Ext. Cab short box. It came with 245/70R16 but the dealer didn't have any in stock and said the 265 should be fine. I was going to get the Blizzark but they talked me into the Dueler's. Hope I made a good dicision. I was able to get the buy 3, get the 4th for free. I did get the road hazard warranty. The total came to $940 and that was with the 4th tire free. I guess the price is high because of the 10 ply tire. I did also look at the Goodyear Silent Armor. Do you think I made a good choice with the Dueler's and will the bigger tire be ok? I have a Fisher 7 1/2' m/m plow. I did have the 8' but it would rub on the road when you hit a bump when ankled to one side. I don't plow commerically so the 7 1/2' is fine for me.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

265's are fine, probably looks a heck of a lot better too! Something wasn't right if your 8ft hit the road, but i guess its too late if you already got rid of it for the 7.5'. What i don't understand is how you could pay that much for a set of tires while still getting one free!!! Do they somehow really make traction in the snow/ice/mud that much better to yield THAT price?

Not trying to be an a$s, i'm just not even thrilled to be paying $660 for the new 265/75/16E Mastercraft Courser C/T's that are going on my 97 tomorrow....the last set was $440 each for knockoffs that lasted 50k miles and did awesome in all conditions!

But to really answer your question, the 265 choice is just fine, especially considering its a factory option

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

265's aren't an option just standard on 3500 single RW
  4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

$940! You got screwed! I have never paid anywhere near that amount for a set of 10 plys. That's crazy!
  5. 2004chevy2500hd

2004chevy2500hd Senior Member

6. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Bought a set of BF Goodrich Commercial traction installed for 630.00 here in Cleveland. Ran Transforce for 2 years. Gone after that and had to replace. Rubber is an oil based product and more expensive but 940 seems high? Tire size are 245/75/16.
  7. 2004chevy2500hd

k&j - I'll have to try these BFG's after the Transforce have earned their keep (just purchased them a little before Thanksgiving). You like the BFG Commercials?

$630 is even better
  8. k&j Landscaping

I love them. Plow mostly in 2 wd unless real bad out. They do have a hum to them and some more rolling resistance which does not help mpg on already bad mpg truck but traction is awesome. Drove in rainstorm here awhile back and great in rain too. I liked the Transforce for about the first year then they wore fast after that.
  9. 2004chevy2500hd

10. k&j Landscaping

Yes, those are it. Not much snow in Columbus area this year so far huh? Expecting 2-4 here tonight. Will believe it when I see it though:)
  11. 2004chevy2500hd

lol - true that - true that. I can only hope. We had a "dusting" this morning....

It's cold, but no snow
  12. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I was torn between the silent armor and duratracs. I am going to go with the duratracs, a little cheaper. I got a quote for 17" duratracs for about what you paid for the bridgestones.
  13. sargex595

sargex595 Member

Thanks for the replies. I know it too late to do anything. I did buy them at a FireStone Dealer and the tires were $227.99 each. The road hazard warranty was $31 and change. Then there was the valve stems. They do seem like a good tire.

Thanks again,
  14. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

He got screwed? Why would you say he got screwed? im sure he could have went to the tire place and said he wanted the cheapest no name 10 plys they had and been out the door for $600. But he didnt, he bought one of the best tires you could buy.
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You need a new tire dealer. While the size difference isn't a big deal, Blizzak vs. Dueler is. And you paid Michelin money for those Bridgestones.
  16. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

bridgestone is made by michelin,lol...they are comparable quality, plus michelins dry rot like crazy for some reason, dunno why?
  17. chitown sparky

chitown sparky Senior Member

had the same tires on my 2001 silverado 1500 and loved them when the ones are shot on my 2007 2500 those are the shoes that will be going on her
  18. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

All of our trucks have Duellers and I wont be switching to any other manufacturer or style any time soon. They are a great all around tire! You made a great decision.
  19. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

definitely paid way to much for those tires I didn't pay that much for my BFG 285s,but I also mounted and balanced them myself.