1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Tires On The Tundra

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mercer_me, Dec 3, 2011.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

In January it will be two years since my Dad bought the Tundra. It currently has about 26,000 miles on it and it has needed tires for quite a while now. The Bridgestone Duelers that came on it suck and didn't wear very well. They was also not worth a damn in the snow. So, my Dad ordered Goodyear Wrangler Dura Tracs 275/65R18 for the Tundra from Discount Tire Direct. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/. He paid $235 a piece with free shipping. He had them mounted and balanced for $12 per tire. I can't wait to try them out plowing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

You can't beat them. They are what I use. You will not be disappointed. The price has sure gone up, from the sounds of that price. I bought mine from Discount Tire, as well. 285/75/16 E range, set of four was something like $800 with free shipping! That was more than a year ago, though.

kevlars

3. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

those are snows worst enemy you will like them probably wont need 4wd as much. a friend has those on his diesel bronco that isnt 4wd yet and he said theyre great in snow and they dont wear bad at all. you couldnt give me bridgestones next time i need tires i think ill get duratracs

4. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

they look good! im gonna be getting 305/65/18's for my truck when the bridgestone junk tires wear out

5. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Have the exact same tires on my 05 Tundra for the winter. Sure beat the garbage BF all terrain, have no side thread. I use Pro Comp Xtreme M/T for summer on Metal Mulisha rims..

6. mercer_me

Ya, tires have gone up in price. It also doesn't help that the Tundra has 18" rims.

That's what I wanted to hear. :nod:

That's a big tire. Do you have a leveling kit? Will they rub?

7. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

My summer tires are 305/70/18 Pro Comp Extreme M/T which required my Rancho Quicklift MYRide suspension system. Replace this rim/tire to my 275/70/16 Wrangler DuraTrac to avoid inner wheel well rub...

8. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

you could either do 305/65 or 295/70 and it will only rub on the skid plate edges, either bend the skid plate or take it off and they will fit Thumbs Up

heres a thread in a tundra forum that im a part of, i dont know if you will be able to see if without being a member but theres alot of good info on that site/forum.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/200614-installed-295-70-nitto-terra-grapplers/

9. mercer_me

I'm not planing on putting anything bigger than a 275 on it. In Maine you can legally only go two sizes bigger. I was just curious how big you can go with out them rubbing.

10. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

Mean lookiing tires. How was the ride quality and the road noice affected, if at all?

11. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

These tires ride as well as a deep thread pattern tires can. Almost little to no snow stick to the rubber. Road noise is not an issue if your windows are closed with stereo on.

12. mercer_me

It rides a little rougher now but, I new it would since the tires on it before was 4 ply and these tires are 10 ply. These tires are also very quite for the size of the tread.

13. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Tires look good man. Should work great this winter.

14. randomb0b123

from america

how are the tires on chevy?

15. mercer_me

The tires on the Chevy aren't very good, they are worn out mud tires. I'd like to get through the rest of the Winter with them but, that probably won't happen.

16. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

The price is so much higher because it's for an 18" wheel. 16's are far cheaper to buy for.

17. randomb0b123

from america

another set of duratracs on the way!

18. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I have seen at Walmart a Goodyear Wrangler Authority tire. It looks VERY similar to the Duratrac, similar sidewall tread. I wa gonna try a set when I got my Duratracs, but they don't come in the size I was looking for.
    Just my 2 cents. Might be worth a look, though.

Kevlars

19. randomb0b123

from america

I wouldn't recommend that it's a specific wal mart tire I've never heard anything good about them

20. mercer_me

Possibly, Dura Tracs are expensive so I'm not sure if I want to spend a lot of money for tires on a truck that is 10 years old. I know a lot of people don't like General Grabber AT2s but, I had them on my Ranger and liked them. So, I might end up putting them on the Chevy.