1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New tires.. New problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 2005Chev, Mar 21, 2010.

1. 2005Chev

2005Chev Member

So heres the deal. I bought some new Firstone Destination A/T (265/75/16) on the advice of the guy at the tire shop. Got them on and the truck shuttered like never before down the highway. They reblanced the tires 4 times in a week and still having problems. This never happened with previous tires. These tires are only 6 ply and the 05' 2500 Chevs come with 10 ply tires. Just curious if anyone else has had problems like this and if a heavier tire that isnt made of such soft rubber would help? When we inflate them to over 50 Psi they seem to smooth out a bit. And another question..anyone know the return policy on tires?
  2. Snowplowkid

Snowplowkid Member

I have the same tires on my 1500 and never had anything do that. I love'em!
  3. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I have pretty well stuck with Cooper Discoverer M+S LT245/75/16 E and have bought about a dozen. Out of the dozen, I had one tire do the same thing. It's most likely a bad tire.
  4. speedy

speedy Senior Member

One or more of them are out of round, or have a separation. A good tire shop would know this.
  5. josh9410

josh9410 Member

i agree with speedy...try to find a shop with a roadforce balancer it will be able to tell you which tire is bad really quick its a little more expensive to have them balanced but worth every penny in the long run
  6. 2005Chev

2005Chev Member

My thoughts were atleast one tire was bad. They said the tires are fine, and my wheels are warpped. I can't see me having three warpped wheels though. Going to spend the morning trying to get them to replace the tires.
  7. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Now, I think I read somewhere, that running a lower ply tire can cause some shake and wobble and what not. I would think that because you have 5-6k of truck, on tires that are not as sturdy.

Could it be bad rims? I would say its the tires.
  8. 2005Chev

2005Chev Member

The guys at the shop said my wheels are all a llittle off, but not to the point where it should be like that. I talked to a few people and the lower ply makes it softer so they say it can cause a vibration where the truck is heavy. I'm in the process of trying to get the same tires I use to run on it. I'm just waiting on them to call the warehouse and see about a straight up exchange on the tires.
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

If you are having that many problems with them I would want a full refund. I would not leave the place till they gave me a full refund. If they say no then I would sit outside there shop with a sign telling every customer about the bad business they were practicing past those doors. Or call the manufacturer and they would most likely take care of it for you and tell the shop to refund the money. Good Luck
  10. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

That happened to a friend of mine if you lift the tire and spin it you will see if it is out of round or mounted wrong look at the space on the rim and something on the tire that is the same all the way around. If the gap changes its mounted wrong
  11. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

There is no reason you should EVER put a 6 ply tire on a 3/4 ton truck - especially when that truck has weight ratings beyond that of the tires. You could have gotten away with 8 ply 265's, but you are asking for a blowout with 6 plys. Get some D or E rated tires on your truck before you roll it over on the highway. Talk to the manager at the tire shop and have the guy fired that advised you to do that. There are tons of guys that put D rated tires (8 ply) on these trucks and have minimal problems, but you are asking for trouble.
  12. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

2cd that. I would of went with 10 ply. Might cost more, but they are made for the load of the truck and whatever else is on it.
  13. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Missed the 6 ply part, thought it was an eight. 8 ply minimum. Chances are it's the tire is to light for your load.
  14. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

maybe it was the lube that they mounted the tires with!!! i have run into this my self have them mark the tire and the rim and run them when they vibarate bad see if the marks are still lined up!!!
  15. 2005Chev

2005Chev Member

There looking at getting me either 265 or 285 General Grabber A/T 2. These are 10 ply and what I ran the last two summers. Does anyone know if the 285's will fit without rubbing with the t bars turned up. I've heard different opinions on this.. wondering if anyone knows for sure

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Mine clear. BTW whoever told you to put a 6ply on your truck should find a new line of work.
  17. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I bought a set of tires one time where three of the four were out of round....that was the worst ride EVER! Sounds like you need to find a better tire shop for sure!
  18. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I got new BFG All Terrains 265/75/16 in November and after about 500 miles I brought them back to my dealership and just nicely asked them to re balance them. I got a call from the service manager that he had to replace my 2 front ones because they were road forced, Someone who actually knows something about tires should know what this means, so bring it up to them and see what they say.
  19. 2005Chev

2005Chev Member

Got a call today and my new tires are in.. General Grabber A/T 2. Same as what i used to run and they are a 10ply tire so I should be good to go from here