1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New tires, hope I picked right.....

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by stackmaster, Oct 18, 2010.

1. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

After much research (and deliberation) I decided to put on a new set of BFG AT KO's. Almost went with the Revos but the plowsite leaned me the other way. Had 40k on the stock BFG rugged trails and thought about getting a dedicated winter set of studded Nokian Hakka LTs but need a decent year round set first. Any thoughts??????

2. Carlo

Carlo Junior Member

I had the BFG AT's on my 89 Bronco and they lasted forever and gave me traction threw all the deep mud and snow I put it threw. As far as I'm concered they are the best AT tire on the market.

3. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

agreed. I have 25,000 on mine, load rage E on a one ton. they are excellent tires, but every time you change your oil rotate the tires. There is no "i'll do it next time" they will cup and they will loose tread fast if you dont. The heavier the truck the more important it is. I have 267/75/16 and I plow with them. They are not as good as a dedicated studded tire, but they are very good.

4. stackmaster

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I am putting these on my plow truck which also has a 1.8 yrd Tornado spreader in the back. Load range E was a must. Will make sure to rotate. May end up with a dedicated set next year. Thanks again.

5. SnowMan87

SnowMan87 Junior Member

i was looking at bfgood AT's but instead i just ordered Nitto graplers cant wait to get em. ill post pics of the new truck plow and tires soon

6. stackmaster

I've heard some good things about the Nittos. Let me know how they are.

7. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I have heard about the nitto's as well, but as an off road tire. I would be curious as well of their weight handling capabilities. I am unfortunately one of the people that believes you get what you pay for. Do keep us posted on the Nitto's are they load range E as well?

8. SnowMan87

SnowMan87 Junior Member

i bought the terra grappler there good on snow ice dry pavment mud you name it ...nitto dose offer alot of offroad but ive never had a problem with the terra grappler i would tell all ym friends to get them the tires are 10 ply

9. jamiller830

jamiller830 Junior Member

I just put BFG on two identical trucks because I heard they last forever. After 5000 miles I'm very unhappy both trucks have worn 5/32 on the rear . BF Goodrich says this is normal and wont do anything for me. At this rate they'll be done by december.I'll never buy them again.

10. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

are your trucks always fully loaded?

11. jamiller830

jamiller830 Junior Member

No they spend most of the time empty. I'm a home improvement contractor so my trailers spend most of the time on the job, I move them once or twice a week. BFG gave me a line of crap about the roads being hotter in the summer months and said the wear should slow down during the fall and winter.I hope so because at $270 a tire i cant afford to replace them every year.

12. stackmaster

Just and update... Have had these ( BFG TA KO's) on the plow truck (2007 ram diesel) for a couple months now and love them. People have told me that if the tire is built for snow, it wont be good on the ice and if the tire is built for ice it wont be good in the snow. I think the KO gives the best of both worlds. It might not be the best ice tire or the best snow tire but IMO it is handling both very well. The lugs are chunky enough to walk through my piles and the rubber is soft enough to be impressive on the ice. No need for a dedicated set of tires!!!!!!! Love them !!

13. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I think the BFG's are just to expencive, they do not make them anymore but I always had great luck with the Cooper Discover LT, I did however find a stash and picked up a set for my new (to me ) truck..
    I have had good luck with the Lts in snow and mud, wear great on the road and do not make much noise...alas they are discontinued

14. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

My good friend said the best tires he had ever seen in the snow were what they used at the University of Ky when he worked there back in the 70's (when we actualy got real snow too). It was the non-directonal military tires on the jeeps they used to plow with, said they could go anywere they wanted in as deep a snow drift they could find. But then again them old Willys would go anywere with a set of rubberbands on the rims....

15. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

i have the nittos about 15000 miles and half worn out! they are wearing good but half gone already

16. stackmaster

Just an update on these BFG AT KO's
    Love the tires!!! Will absolutely buy them again. However people should be forwarned that they do wear a bit quicker than some other tires with harder compounds. I have 30,000 kms (18,600 miles) on them and while they still have half the tread, I am looking at putting them on another work truck and getting new KOs for the plow truck. They are a little spendy and wear a bit quicker but IMO the best plow tire.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Had a few sets of BFG ATs. Very good all around tires, but snow tires are better in the snow

18. stackmaster

I'm sure snow tires would work great in the snow ;-), however, they are really soft and I'm not at all interested in replacing them every season. Thats REALLY spendy

19. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

The BFG TA/KO's seem to be very polarizing tires. Some people really like them, others (like me) absolutely hate them.

My S10 (got rid of it) came from factory with them. The thing had no traction on ANYTHING, even with the auto-locking rear diff. When they wore down, pulled them off to find that they were disintegrating from the inside out, literally peeling on the inside and one of them was clearly very close to a blow out. Replaced them with some store-branded on/off road tires and traction was 50x better than the TAKO's ever had.