1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New this year

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lawnman883, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

i am a single man operation as of now. i do plan to hire some part time help as business warrents. my question is what can i reasonably expect out of a 1 truck operation in west michigan. i have some experiance plowing an apartment complex during the last 2 years using their equipment, but i want to do it myself now. the setup i used was a 99 f250 v-10 with a western v-plow. it did a good job and never really needed anything except fuel. at the apartments they also had a kubota front end loader and a quad for doing sidewalks. i am in the process of purchasing an 04 f250 powerstroke and need advice on how to outfit this truck to be as effective as i can be considering its my only truck this year. i have a deere garden tractor with a 48inch snowblower on it and it does a great job on sidewalks. how do you guys go about getting started in this business if you cant yet afford a front end loader but still need to be able to move the piles of snow back.
    also i was wondering the most effective way to set up billing...do you guys do it by the hour, by the storm, monthly, or annually
    my target client will be apartment complexes, retail parking lots, churches, the like.
    thanks for any advice or assistance
  2. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

welcome to plowsite. i am not going to answer your questions, as they are all very controversial, and warrant a fight. Not gonna get into the which plow is better, charge this much, etc, etc. Good luck with your ventures.
  3. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Some things to consider for outfiting your truck. Do you know how to service a plow and salter? If not who is the closest dealer and what brand does he sell? Remember snow service is a time sensitive operation. If you choose equipment that requires repair durring a storm can you afford to drive 3 hours to the closest dealer?
    Same thing goes for your truck. Is there a good Ford dealer close by that has a good technician and a well stocked parts department? Again you cant be without your truck for a week while they order in parts to service it.\
    If you are going to have to salt do you have somewhere to store it? How about load it? Are you going to use bag salt or bulk?
    Lastly the loader might not be needed every storm if the proper snow placement is used. You could line yourself up with a large construction companys to rent equepment and operators as needed.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i dont have a front loader i sub it out and keep a % for myself
  5. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

thanks for the info. i shall keep reading and hopefully get some things in line. any other suggestions are helpful