1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Terrastar....

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mdb landscaping, Mar 19, 2012.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Here are some shots of our new truck. Has anybody equipped one yet with a plow and sander? We probably won't do this till fall, but id be interested to see if anybody has some shots of one outfitted already.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

They look nice . i was talking with some one who leases from ryder and they where saying internaional has been having problems with there engines? don't know how true it is also they still don't have def fluid in these trucks yet?
    how come no 4x4 they suposidly have it out for this year?

3. mdb landscaping

Supposedly 4x4 is due out this spring. I have not heard anything further on that. This truck will be used in bigger parking lots, so 4x4 wasn't necessary for us. I haven't heard of any issues with the motor yet. I will let you guys know how it works out. It just seemed to make more sense to us then getting another f550. You get more payload and a sturdier truck with less electronics to go wrong.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I like the terra star the cab is subose to be car like too which is nice. i can't belive more people didn't get the gm 's when they where out heavier frames than the ford had for a smaller class truck. like the blue on them real sharp

5. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

what does it have for a motor/tranny?

6. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

What is the empty weight and what is it licensed for?

7. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

could you post up some interior pics. Im just curious:bluebounc

8. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Very nice looking truck. Keep us posted about how it performs.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would like to know that too. I think the biggest GVWR is 19,500

10. mdb landscaping

Here are the specs on the motor:

MaxxForce 7

The Maxxforce® 7 is built strong with a V8 turbodiesel, incorporating advanced design elements and components from Navistar's market-leading 16 commercial engines.
    Specs
    Configuration V8
    Displacement (389 cu. in.) 6.4L
    Power Output (164-224 kW) 220-300 hp
    Peak Torque (762-898 Nm) 560-660lb.-ft.
    Aspiration Turbocharged

Here is a shot of the interior:
    [​IMG]

I will try to get the lightweight tomorrow. The truck will legally hold 4.5 - 5 ton. It does have a nice air ride seat.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

What are all those switches for, I counted 16 of them. I have been looking online at the Terrastar. I want to replace one of my salt trucks next winter. I'm not sure if the GVWR is enough. I want to put a 5 yard salter on it.

12. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

Sharp paint color!

No swap-loader on this guy? IIRC, you guys run a swap-loader or some other type of roll off system.

13. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

6.4 oh no way I would buy another one of those.

14. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Nice looking truck!! You guys should try a hooklift system they are so handy you will never look back.

15. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Lookin good! The 4x4 option has our interest peaked

16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice truck. A 10' Fisher MC would look pretty good on it.

17. mdb landscaping

We already have a kenworth roll-off with a 20 yd can, 40 yd can, flatbed, leaf box and our hydroseeder goes on it. You are right they are very very handy!
    As far as the switches go, that is not our trucks interior. Our truck looks the exact same inside except for all those switches. I just showed you a pic of the inside I took off google images since I didnt snap any interior pictures.

18. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Grant wants one to replace his black F350 because a 10,000kg float behind that just kills it. For a 5 yard salter you should be fine. Depending on the box you install I'd say its around 11,000-12,000lb. I'm pretty sure they're under 10k for a 4x2 single cab with bare frame rails.

19. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Im pretty sure cab and chassie 4x2 is under 8500 lbs leaving you with around 12k payload...

20. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

is that the same lemon 6.4l that came in the 08-10 powerjokes?