1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Taillights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GLS, Dec 19, 2001.

1. GLS

GLS Senior Member

I have an '89 chevy silverado 1500 with some messed up taillights. The inside is all rusted and some of the lights don't work...replacing them didn't solve the problem. Does anyone know where I can buy these NEW or in GOOD condition (not from the junk yard)?

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like a trip to your local Chevy or GMC dealer is the way to go here. Had the same problem with our 89, I cured it for a while by soldering a jumper wire across the break in the metal strip. It was hell getting the rust off and cleaning it up to get a good solder bond.
  3. DEISL

DEISL Member

Do you need the housing bezel or the wiring?
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

That was a common problem with older GM's 88 and up.Dealer has updated circuit boards for each side with improved sealing and they use the new 2357 style bulbs.We service several GM and Chev fleets,and all have been converted and nay a problem since.
  5. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Thanks...i'll have to go to my dealer sometime soon. Do you know how much these cost?

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i have an 89 , that i had to replace the "whole" light assembly and i at the time replaced the whole harness from firewall back because of soooo many splices and such
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

As far as I can remember they were about $50-60 per side from the dealer.These are canadian prices,so they should be cheaper in US.When you order them tell them you are from Joe's Garage,and you should get a 10-15% discount as well.This works at most auto parts places as well to get a discount.

Remember to pickup some new bulbs,and a spare or two,as the new circuit boards use the newer bulbs.Use a good quality bulb like GE or Sylvania,or you'll be replacing them again soon.
  8. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I was blowing tailight bulbs in my K-2500 (85) and I finally figured out that I was slamming the tailgate when I closed it. When I slowed down and closed it more gently (i.e. using the latch to close it) the problem went away. I guess the vibration caused from excessive hard closing was shaking the #$$% out of the filaments.

9. chevroletwizard

chevroletwizard Junior Member
    from indiana

plowjockey, easy with those canons u got for arms:D

everyone is so right, bad board for the early years of that new body style. ex g/f dads stepside did it when it was only 5yrs old.