1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new switch

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by 91 pathfinder, May 7, 2011.

1. 91 pathfinder

91 pathfinder Junior Member

I have seen that people have used a 2way momentary switch to control the plow. I am planning on doing this myself, and was wondering how you have made the grounds switch. I have thought about using ford style starter solenoids! Anyone have any thoughts, diagrams etc.. Also wanting to come up with a way to angle the plow without getting out of the pathfinder!! thanks

2. 91 pathfinder

Also found that my superwinch 1002-d is starting to let the blade drop on its own. I got the plow last year, after it had sat outside for over 5 years, and the winch still worked, but was noisy. I took the winch apart, cleaned it and reinstalled it, and was much much quieter, and worked well, now it is starting to let the blade drop as soon as it is all the way up. I tried another winch from Canadian Tire, but it was very very slow, so I put the superwinch back on. any thoughts? I cant really afford to buy a new 1102-d. Does swapping over from cable to the chain that is on my SW really make that much a difference in speed?

3. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok as far as for the switch use a contactor look in my previous post under mods so far

4. 91 pathfinder

I see your pictures Acornish, Where can I find a solenoid like the one you are using. I have 4 ford style ones, 2 for up, s for down, because I figured that I need to switch the grounds as well on the winch motor.
    Thanks

5. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

Just buy a winch contactor for an atv winch from anywhere that sells atv stuff. I bought mine cheap on ebay, and love it. I just used the included handlebar rocker switch with the bracket removed.

6. SNOWBEARLTD

SNOWBEARLTD Member

Typically when the superwinch slips it is due to a loose collar(strap mount). Try tightening these even further. If it is still slipping, remove the collar and flatten the rounded sections lightly with a hammer then re-install. That should fix it.

7. 91 pathfinder

My winch is the chain style, would doing the same thing possible fix the slipping issue?

8. SNOWBEARLTD

SNOWBEARLTD Member

Yes, This should work for that as well..

9. skidoo

skidoo Member

When my 1102d winch went I put on a superwinch LT 2000 from canadian tire. Winch is decently fast. Have been using it a couple years now still works good. I wired a hand held remote from the UT 3000 in the truck. I thinking about putting the upgrade switch kit from canadian tire on cause my wire from the cab to the winch got cut in two.

10. 91 pathfinder

I tried that winch and didn't like it all, I found it very very slow. Unfortunately I dont have my Pathfinder anymore, broke the frame, and now I have a piece of crap Ford Escape awd. So needless to say the plow is sitting in the garage, with nothing to install it on. At least we havent had any snow this year yet. I am hoping to hit a deer with it, Insurance will get me out of it. lol

11. skidoo

skidoo Member

wow mine is quite fast, but I am using a wiring harness of the ut 3000 so it has a box mounted on the winch with 12' foot cord to the cab, it works well. I did find the 300 a bit slow. I just ordered a new remote cause I cut the 12' cord and lost the plug end that goes to the box on the winch. I never tried the remote that came with the lt 2000 winch maybe it would be slower with that. I think the upgrade switch kit would work. $49.00 canadian tire. There is a few guys using the lt 2000 and are happy with them.

12. 91 pathfinder

the 1102D still works good, it just lets the blade drop when it is in the up position. The thing I really like about the speed of the original is that I was stacking snow with it last winter, I had piles almost 10 feet high. and with the speed of the blade it would let me do that, when I tried the other lt2000 it was so slow, that I couldn't do that, and I would lose traction before I could get it pushed up the pile. I really wish I had pictures from last winter, because I was given the plow by my Step dad in Ontario, and I just had to pay to ship it to Nova Scotia, and he couldn't believe that you could do that with them.
    When I get my new truck(as soon as I can write off the Escape) lol I will definitely take pictures this time

13. Jstic

Jstic Junior Member
    from CT

I got tired of the small rocker switch so I bought an industrial quality joystick switch on ebay for $10 and wired it up. Installed it in the console, so far so good.

Naugatuck-20120210-00249.jpg

14. skidoo

skidoo Member

Looks awesome! If I my remote ever quits I might try something like that

15. 91 pathfinder

did you need soloinoids or anything to wire in the joystick or was it all built in?

16. Jstic

Jstic Junior Member
    from CT

I have a newer snowbear with the hand held rocker switch which plugs into a black box which already contains a solenoid. I just cut the rocker switch off, stripped back some insulation and exposed the three wires, and wired them into the new joystick switch(the blue wire is the common wire).

A word of caution, there are some cheap joystick switches on ebay that come from hong kong, stay away from those as they are not designed for heavy duty use on a plow control. If you have the older model where the solenoid is bult into the switch, you will have to get a separate soldenoid and wire to that, and then to the battery and plow. You don't want any high voltage lines coming into the cab.

Not really as much work as one might think, it took a couple hours total. Get a 2 position(3 if they count the off position) momentary joystick switch from GE, IDEC, Alcoswitch, Allen Bradley, or Square D.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  17. 91 pathfinder

If I do this, I think I will get a four way one, up/down, and left/right. I have seen a few different plows that used two winches, one for up and down, the other to angle it. I would like to try this as well, I guess it will have to wait until next year though. I need to get a new truck!

18. Jstic

Jstic Junior Member
    from CT

That's a good idea. I also just found out about the Frontline plows, I think they are made by snowbear, or a close affiliate of snowbear. They use the exact same truck mounts and I am 99% sure they use the same crossmember. It looks like all you need is the plow setup which is 100% hydraulic. They probably use a 4 way joystick like the setup you are talking about.

http://frontlinesnowplows.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=3