1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Swenson sander...please help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jbvictory, Dec 11, 2012.

1. jbvictory

jbvictory Junior Member

Hey all, I am fairly new to plowing (this is my second season with a truck) but i have been doing snow removal for ten years (walks and driveways with shovels and blowers). This year we landed a really large account (approximately six-seven acres of parking) so I decided to buy a sander for the truck. After a little research and talking to other guys I went with a Swenson Tailhawk 750. The complex will not allow us to use salt or liquid deicer because it gets tracked in to their offices and ruins their carpets, so I am forced to use straight sand. I loaded it up for the first time yesterday and was sorely disappointed in the performance, I have the vibrator kit and the sanding auger and it basically clogged right off the bat and took about two hours to get it unloaded (between hand unloading, vibrating, banging on the tub)...needless to say I am a little frustrated. The thing was over $2700.00 installed, so I just assumed it would do what it said. The material was clean washed sand and it was damp but by no means wet (the pit we get it from is outdoors so we will never get 100% dry sand). I am just looking for any ideas on what others do, any tips or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I hate to tell you, but that spreader was the wrong choice. Now I've never seen it in person, but looking it up online it has no conveyor or feed paddle of any type, it simply relys on gravity. Look at something like a western pro flow 2. It has a conveyor that drops material to the spinner. This unit will handle sand, if you want to keep away from a real vbox

3. LON

LON Senior Member

4. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

For the money...get a Buyers TGS 07, will spread sand,salt what ever pretty much.....and ALOT cheaper than anything else comparable to it
  5. LuckyPlower

LuckyPlower Senior Member

I don't use that type of spreader nor do I use sand, So if it were me, i'd get a load of sand and drive to the dealer. Ask for a demo. or at least call them and explain your situation.

Hopefully someone on here has some tips for you. good luck
  6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I used to own a Meyer Mate tailgate spreader. And while yours looks like a more serious unit than my "mate" was, the design is not all that much different.

I have run sand through it, and found myself having to resort to spraying the inside with fluid film and then running it with the vibrator on at all times. Even then, the results were mixed at best.. And my tactic of spraying the inside with fluid film is just way beyond not practical..
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Unless it never gets really cold there you will never spread straight sand. You need to have some salt in the mix.

I would like to know how liquid gets tracked into the office?
  8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I had the same question. Usually it's the other way around and they want NO sand because it costs more to clean up in the spring. I tried stockpiling straight sand for a private road a few years ago. In January I had a 22 CY block.
  9. jbvictory

jbvictory Junior Member

I guess it gets tracked in on their shoes, I just know they won't let me use it. :gunsfiring:
  10. jbvictory

jbvictory Junior Member

Thanks for all the help! I am headed to the dealer this morning and I will post the response. Looks like I should have done a little more homework, I just assumed a $3000 machine would do what it said. :dizzy:
  11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I find the price to be a little ridiculous for a tailgate spreader. For that price you could get 1.5 yard buyers poly vbox. I would drop the thing off to them and tell you want a refund. The customer is always right and if my customer has a problem I fix it free of charge or give a refund if possible in some cases. Good luck.