1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New style Snow pusher??

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by deere615, Jan 19, 2010.

1. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Found this on youtube guy took a huge tire cut it in half and made 2 snow pushers. Pretty neat idea and seems to work good but probably not something I would do lol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c3npHkIM38E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c3npHkIM38E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

better then paying to throw that tire out.

would it be wrong for me to copy that? redneck? id do it
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Wow, Those are some tiny skids....
  4. zutecht

zutecht Junior Member

I dont see that scraping very well but it moves the bulk of it. Its amazing what some people come up with i think thats pretty sweet.
  5. deere615

thats true lol
    yeah that was my thought too seems like they were struggling a bit at some points
    yep thats what I thought also probably move powder well but scraping lots that had been driven on wouldnt work
  6. TJ Fed

TJ Fed Member
    from Indiana

If I remember correctly there is a thread about those on here I think there pretty neat wouldnt mind having one for our skid steer since it sits all winter.
  7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

The skids are med frame skids 6000 lb + machines with 60+ hp..I wouldnt call those tiny....I'm assuming burkart was being sarcastic, considering the tire size of the pushers are huge...hence making the skids appear smaller than they are. Plus the recording is kinda goofy.

They scrape just as well as any rubber/urethane edged pusher....so what makes them less effective? If anything they have an advantage in that point " the pusher itself is the edge"..No edge to replace or adjust. I think that is, in some ways, an advantage.

Watch the video again. When you bring the front wheels off the ground on a SS you lose traction & pushing capabilities. The operator closest in the vid appears to be better (i can still pick his methods apart and tell you whats faster, but no point in it). He is keeping all 4's on the ground unlike the other guy, who is struggling more( both the same machine, w/ what appears to be the same pusher) Having an attachment plate that allowed the pusher to float independently from the machine when you wanted it to would improve its ability even beyond what is in the vid. Also tires, just like on anything also make a huge difference. Hard to tell what kind and what condition they are.

I have a very good friend that is a fabricator amongst many other things, including a sub for me on snow removal. He has made a couple of these out of Challenger tracks. On one of them he has put hydraulic cylinders that make the pusher go from 6ft to 10ft, or anywhere in between. Very slick setup. I have been trying to get him to get some footage of them.
  8. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

there is an outfit around that uses them also.
  9. TJ Fed

TJ Fed Member
    from Indiana

Does anyone have some links to these we have a T320 that sits all winter right now and I think one of these would work pretty good on it
  10. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

bullcrap those push clean!!!!!!! any fool knows the inside of the tires is "cupped" in just a little where it seats on the rim. You can see that in the video. take and cut that side wall off so the tread becomes the cutting edge and it may work.
  11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

You are right about that. I didnt really notice they left the bottom that way:dizzy:....that is not how I have seen them done before, and not how my buddy made his.....but even so, after watching the vid again, they still seem to be doing pretty damn good....Ecspecially considering they left the bottom like that.

BTW, the ones I mentioned my buddy makes, are made out of Challenger tracks...not tires. And just FYI, they do work very well.
  12. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Interesting what people come up with ............... thanks for the post
  13. schmol

schmol Senior Member

If you looked again at the video you would see that they cut out half of the sidewall width, removing the bead. Leaving some of the sidewall there would massively increase the structural rigidity compared to cutiing it out completely. This idea is completely ingenious, far more cost effective than a steel pusher. The operators are amatures but the capacity of the pushers makes up for that.
  14. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

That's a great idea. I know of many places to pick up old tractor tires, and this seems like a good and cheap way to have a pusher.
  15. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

they have been using those around here for a long time in the dairy farms for barn clean-up.
  16. keitha

keitha Senior Member

17. flashinglight

flashinglight Junior Member
    from maine

I second skidooer - they are used around here on dairy farms for clean up. They move snow, but they don't scrape all that well some storms.
  18. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

That sounds like a great idea.

19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

When I watched it I thought they should have cut the side wall off the bottom so there was an edge, once that sidewall starts to wear out the scrape will be bad. I bet those tires are hard to work with as far as fab work goes, they are heavy, you can't just toss'em around in the shop. At least you can't dent them or bend them.

Damn it looked cold out there! :eek:
  20. deere615

I was going to say sidewalls are still on in video but cutting them completly out would probably scrape pretty good. I think the half of the sidewall you are talking about could just be wear from pushing.

I think both ways will work one way will scrape better one way will last longer and be stronger. I guess if anyone is going to o this they just have to experiment and see what works best, I dunno because I have never done this or seen it done until now