1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New style cutting edges on an RT2

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by R.M Hanson, Dec 13, 2007.

1. R.M Hanson

R.M Hanson Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone has tried the new style (formed) cutting edges on an RT2 series of plow. I have a 9'2", and it's a 1998 model. The original edges are getting worn, so I want to replace them. My dealer claims that these parts are obsolete, but they are more than willing to sell me the puck style blades, which will leave like a 4" wide strip in the middle, and to fabricate my own center shoe to cover the gap. I think that this is a bunch of BS, told to me by a parts guy who was too lazy to help a customer. Whichever the case, would the new formed edges fit this plow with a bit of modification, or does someone know of a source for edges for the older blades? Plan B which I hope doesn't't have to happen, involves using this blade the rest of the season, and buying a new Fisher or Western.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=37349&highlight=edges

The new edges will fit but you will need to do a little grinding/trimming to get them to fit but it's well worth it.:nod:

Do a search key word "edge" search this forum others have done it too.

There is a pic of mine showing the mod to the center in the link I posted on top.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  3. JCplowboy

JCplowboy Junior Member

My local dealer installed a pair on my 8.2 V last year, work great.
    No pucks, no skunk stripes either!
    And they have the curb guard edges.
    Find a new dealer, or someone with some desire to help a customer.
    Good luck.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you have a RTIII they will bolt right on.
    IF you have an RTII you will need to some grinding on the edges to make room for the bottom of the center hinge.

5. R.M Hanson

R.M Hanson Junior Member

Thanks for the help, I'll order the new edges from a different dealer the first part of the week. It's nice to see that they will fit with only a little modification. The local dealer here in central Iowa is just plain worthless. I'll gladly pay a little more to have them sent UPS from a different dealer than to step foot in there again, kinda sad in a way.

6. zipp669

zipp669 Junior Member

oh now cmon, worthless. You can think of better words than that.
    I only go there cuz I have to. you no it breaks & no where else to get it than there. Just like Sat am I have to get a spring as lost oneWed night.
    I have that dang gap in mine & we are fixing it ourselves.

7. R.M Hanson

R.M Hanson Junior Member

You're right, worthless is probably to nice of a word, but I can't type my true words used to describe them. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's had bad experiences with that dealer. I genally am happy with the plow, but I can't stand working with that dealer. I wonder if talking with a BOSS factory, or regional rep and voicing my and several other peoples concerns would have any impact. I'm sure most companies would much rather have decent, reliable dealers representing their products, than what we have here.