1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by nbuzz, Jan 17, 2009.

1. nbuzz

nbuzz Junior Member

I've got a 97 2500 w/ driver side air bag. my question is can i replace the steering wheel? All the padding is gone in the top half of the wheel:cry: And I'm sick of the electrical taped wheel! and to top it if off the vinyl is coming off on my hands too:realmad:

I've looked on ebay...nothing. local yards dont have anything either. any help would be appreciated!

2. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Locate a local yard with a used steering wheel at www.car-part.com

You may have to buy a whole steering column to get what you want.

3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

you could order one from your dealer if you wanted
    but theyre not cheap

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah Steering wheel is about $300 and will cost about $100 to have installed. I did one on my old 94. You will never find a nice one in junkyard. They all tear.

5. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

Don't know about Dodge But I checked and for my 2002 Ford F-350 Lariat. It was around $180 and that is leather.

Did a quick search on google. $168 without leather $288 with leather

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  6. nbuzz

nbuzz Junior Member

thanks for the input guys. I found a couple but they are in bad shape, local mech had two from parts trucks... im afraid to call the dealer to see how much $$.

Have 2 more questions, Can i use one from a newer truck? say an 03-04? and can I use one from a 1500 same generation?

7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Nope differnt airbag and cruise control hook up

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Here's your chance...... :jester:

F1 - $25,000
    F1 25Gs.jpg

Pimpin - $125
    chain.jpg

chain.jpg

F1 25Gs.jpg

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Same problem on my 96- I have a $2.99 plastic lace on wheel wrap on it now. JC Whitneys has leather stitch on covers for under $40 That's my pal this summer (or whenever the plastic one wears out....I'm lazy)

10. nbuzz

nbuzz Junior Member

LMAO... I'll have to take the... Sh*#t I cant decide!

I appreciate the info guys.. but it looks like I'm just gonna wrap it for now, since I just had to buy 2 new tires...

11. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Have you checked E-bay, I neded one for my Excursion , I found quite a few. I bought a nice non leather one for a standard pick-up, looked real nice and when I sold the truck the buyer was surprised , he said every Ex he looked at the wheel was falling apart!

Just remember "if it's out there it's on E-bay!" and if you don't see it today it will show up tomorrow! lol

12. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

lol i just wrapped mine in about 4 layers of black electrical tape works fine for me