1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New steel castor vs snowex sp7550

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rebert, Oct 23, 2015.

1. rebert

rebert Senior Member

Hey guys I'm in the market for a vbox. Looking for recommendations, opinions or first hand experience. I really like the new features of the new fisher/western unit but a lot of guys I talk to say poly is the way to go. One is chain fed one is auger fed, what's better?? I got quotes from 4qte and the snowex is $300 more but that's not a deciding factor.
    Thanks guys
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I was quoted a ******** price for a SteelCaster last week, he said just over 7K installed, I think thats crazy! Chain units will need more maintenance over time vs an auger. My Downeaster is drag chain version and we bought it in 06 and it's been flawless since. The only thing I'll need to do this season is remove a couple chain links due to the chain being stretched out too far for any more adjustment but the chain itself is still in great shape thanks to fluid film!
  3. rebert

rebert Senior Member

Give 4qte a call. I was surprised how much better there prices were even with shipping. I've also heard salt tends to freeze faster in a steel unit than poly?