1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New State Account

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by snowguy1550, Oct 9, 2009.

1. snowguy1550

snowguy1550 Junior Member

I went today on an account for a property that is fairly large. I very much would like to get this account. I have an idea of what I am going to bid on it but would like to hear from the pros! I will do a flat rate (per push) and when we have 6" of snow or more charge a surcharge. Not sure what the flat rate will be exactly, Also we will need to clear snow off of all walkways and sand and salt all of property. Would like to know
    1. What would you guys bid?
    2. How much and what type of equip. would be best.
    FYI project manager said he has no special are for piling and no cars will be in lot during time of removal.
    Property includes all of area inside hospital (nothing on commonwealth)

Thanks a bunch guys

Picture 3.png

2. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

what if it is snowing during normal business hrs? is there a clause to keep just drive lanes open or a % of all parking area's? also I would think about possibly lowering the surcharge to 4" again at 6" and then anything over 8 is hourly (that is how my contracts are set and seem to work for me) hope this helps a little and good luck also will you be able to store equip and salt on site? i'll be honest very few guys are going to to give any numbers on here we are from all across the map and different markets will support different pricing. I would say a loader and a couple of skids and a couple of trucks remember hospitals are usually 0 tolerance for accumulations and build up

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

With this being a hospital, I would expect there to be an RFP (Request for Proposal). I'd need to see that before venturing a bid. Also, since this is a hospital, I would expect it to be a "zero tolerance" for snow or ice. That's going to change my bidding, considerably. It will also require an insurance policy to specify "hospitals"- a general commercial policy usually does not allow hospitals. The extra premium will also need to be passed along.

Charging for over 6" of snowfall will be irrelevant with this bid.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Guys are gonna love this one. 100k for the year...plow ,salt,sidewalks, bringing staff their coffee and running errands for the Dr.'s Seriously, we could get 600.00 a push and where you live it may bring 1200.00 a push. Just figure how much your trucks are worth per hr. and do the math.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Dont bother with square footage, sidewalk area, snow removal requirements, service level requirements, any of that. We can just guess. It's more fun that way anyhow.

Presuming it's a zero tolerance hospital, and you have to keep it under 2-3 inches, it doesn't matter how big the storm is. A 2 inch push is a 2 inch push. Wether you push once for a storm or five times for a storm.

I'm going with the Mark O recomendation

Per push $5 - $5000

For equipment, basher style

9.2 VXT w/wings on a Jeep Cherokee, & an 8611 on an F150. V8 of course.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Well, looks like I don't have to post anymore. :rolleyes: Would you like my password so you can just post as me?

Be that way about it. :laughing: :laughing:

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm just trying to give you more free time to figure out where to put more lights on your trucks.

8. Mick

from Maine

Wouldn't a 4 cylinder use less gas? V8's cost more and use more gas.:rolleyes:

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I suppose that's true. But retrofitting an I-4 into the F150 would be cost prohibitive. I'll meet you in the middle and change my recommendation to a six.

10. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

no reason he couldnt do it with a couple of snoblowers and 2 ford rangers with 7 poly pro blades. oh and a snow ex 575 mini like mine.

cost as follows

12.25 x 2 for the snowblowers =24.50
    7.15 x 7 for the snowblowers labor = 50.05
    2(50lb bags of salt) x 11.00 bag = 22.00
    6 x 3.00 for the snowblower gas = 18.00
    35hr x 2hr x 2trucks =140.00
    Total cost $254.55 so call it $250 and since your only there like 5 hours yourself its like your making $50 an hour and thats damn good money!!!!
    Hope this helps

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Does anyone have production rates for snowblowers in a parking lot? Acres/hr? I wondering about the 28"-32" range machines 7HP-11HP. I'm sure one of those Toro 44" jobs would be faster, but use more fuel.

12. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

i didnt think about that.........hmmmm bigger snowblowers would be a huge help...maybe take two of those 44" ones and strap them together. then you could attach a sulky behind it and really be productive. might even decrease the need for one of the trucks. now you could charge less and have a better chance at getting the contract!

13. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Psych Hospital in NY...good luck finding an insurance carrier willing to write the policy never mind finding one that has a premium under $30,000.

14. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

Thanks guys, I had a pretty crappy day today, coming home and reading this makes just brings tears to my eyes... from :laughing: that is...

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Glad you found this thread helpful.....

16. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

This is an awful intensive contract for you to be biting off considering the questions you are asking.

I dont mean that as an insult.

You are going to be bidding against guys who have done this for years, this size property. And they are going to know down to a science how to handle it and what it entails.

17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Walk away ,you'll feel better in the morning

18. Mick

from Maine

To the Original Poster: Please don't take my or other's comments as slams to you. Starting with 2COR517's post, it was really jabbing fun at each other. But I agree with procut1 - from the questions you asked, it is apparent that you're probably not ready to take on something like this. That's not an insult, these type of accounts get very intense and liability-heavy. The first thing to do before even considering a bid is to check with your insurance agent. You might find that they wont even write you a policy for it.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Mick - always the voice of reason.

Seriously, insurance agent first.

20. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

This thread is wurthless without pics.............
    bush_dr-evil2.jpg

bush_dr-evil2.jpg