1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New starter, battery, alternator still have to keep jumping f250

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 4-Seasons, Jan 25, 2014.

1. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons Junior Member
    from NJ

2004 f250 with fisher plow 4 years old never had this problem before. Starter 6 months old battery 6 months old alternator 2 days old. Leave truck over night and have to jump it in morning. Is the plow being hooked up n pluged in draining battery? Don't know what to do? I don't want to be out on a job and this happen.

2. myzx6

myzx6 Member

If u have a multimeter disconnect a battery terminal, set the meter on 10a hook one to battery and other to terminal. This will tell you how much parasitic draw you have .05 is the absolute max, it will take a cpl mins after hooking up for the CPUs to go to sleep if its over which I'm sure it is start by unplugging any aftermarket devices one at a time until u are below .05. If no Change start at fuses, but more times then not its aftermarket, alarms, lights, and what not, start with most recently added devices. You can pick multimeters up at any parts store or harbor freight for under $20

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  3. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons Junior Member
    from NJ

Nothing has been added to truck since plow was added. I will have to get the multimeter.

4. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

load test your battery, just because you replaced it doesn't make it perfect, loose terminals, something loose somewhere

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Unplug your plow for the night and see if it starts the next morning. If so "Bob's your Uncle!"
    I had an mercury switch on my underhood light go and the light stayed on and drained the battery, my wife was walking by the truck one night and saw the light on the ground underneath.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What happens if you unplug the plow?
    You can also use a test light instead of a meter

7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

replace your battery cables...just had a buddys doing the same thing and ground cable was corroded inside the insulation

8. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons Junior Member
    from NJ

Unplugged plow over night. Just tried to start and it dead.

9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Do you have a test light?

10. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons Junior Member
    from NJ

No I will have to get one. once I have what do I do?

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Parasitic draw test

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Take negative battery cable off. Put test might in between cable and post. If it lights up you have draw. Pull fuses until light goes out

You can also use a bulb

13. NorthernProServ

NorthernProServ PlowSite Veteran

X2 do this test!

Just had a problem like that when cold with one of my trucks, 06 F-350 6.0.

Truck would not start when in the teens, got worse and worse. Did all test as mentioned above, along with load test batteries, both of them separate on the truck and on the bench, they both tested good.... fast forward, bought new battery's and problem was solved. Even the batteries "test" good, from my experience they can still be bad.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  14. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

I put a rebuilt alternator in my truck 2 years ago that had some sort of short in it. If the truck was running it would work fine and charge the batteries and work as it should. If the truck sat for a day or two batteries would be dead and truck would need to be jumped, and would work fine again until it sat for a day or two. If you listened to the alternator with the truck off the was a quite buzzing/humming noise coming from it. I replaced the alternator and the problem went away.