1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New springs or spacers?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by OneBadDodge06, Oct 14, 2013.

1. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Been doing some research on here and after last season I've been rather annoyed with some considerable front end Chevy nose diving with my 06 CTD.

Is it better to put spacers on the front end to level it up or go with springs?

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I replaced mine with factory hd. The part numbers start with the softest and go up. The heaviest end with 988. That's what I put in. They hold my 9.2 VXT well. Don't ride too bad either.

3. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

What did those run you for price?

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

IIRC, about $250 for the pair. You will need to talk to a parts man. Online OEM parts sellers rarely list parts numbers anymore.

5. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

Put in heavier springs. Do not put in spacers.

6. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I agree. Heavier duty springs will even out your ride and give you better range of motion with your plow on. I got mine here: http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/

7. bcramblit

bcramblit Member

I have a pair for sale. I used them 1 season then parted out the truck. They are rated 1000lbs over stock and make your rig feel like a real truck. I had timbrens on before these, but didn't need them after. $150.00obo + s&h

8. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Do they add lift to the front end? Can't remember if the front end always had a slant to it or its from years of the plow hanging off the front that it squats a little now...

I live in Ankeny so I could meet up with you and wouldn't have to worry about shipping

9. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Installed a hd set from the local spring shop. I think they were from the 5500 series truck. Added around 2.5" to the front and had the rear leafs re ached with a extra leaf to make things level again plus add some extra spring to the rear. Trucks which have a CTD V plow and bed salter will be fine for the first season but the added weight will take its toll and bottoming out the front end will happen more frequently.

Anyhow the truck handles the weight perfectly and the nose moves only a 1/4" when the Mega V is raised. Very happy with the upgrade.

10. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

How much of a super fun time is it? Any of you done a shock replacement yet? I've heard Bilsteins are the way to go but they're kinda pricey.....

11. bcramblit

bcramblit Member

Yes, they add lift. It lifted mine about 2''.

12. bcramblit

bcramblit Member

I also have the rear leaf kit to lift the back if you run ballast.
    I've got exactly what you need.

13. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Stupid question but the springs you have came off a dodge? I just want to be sure

14. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Still interested in selling these? Bout ready to order a set of new ones if not...