1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Spreader Truck

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Cooter24, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I will be purchasing a new Henderson 8' stainless v box soon. My question is which truck do I put in on. I have two trucks that I can put it on. Both 3/4 ton one with a flatbed and the other with a regular box. They are both capable of handling it. Just wondering which works best so I can order the spreader with the regular or extended shoot.
  2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I never get extended chutes, even on dumps. Just sets it too low for me too many things to hit. Some people claim it lets you spread under cars etc. I like the higher chutes because it spreads out farther IMO.

I would put it on the flatbed. Although I do have a v-box on my pickup, if I only had one truck to spread with I would prefer a flatbed or dumpboby. Much easier to clean around and under the spreader and less worry about scratches and dents when loading etc.
  3. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Being able to take the sides off the truck while the spreader is on was something I thought about. It will make it much easier to clean under. Also much easier to tie down. You would get the standard chute though?
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 spreaders with extended shoots. I would not buy another. Unless they are in a real high truck there is no need for 1. Mine are both hydraulic spreaders where I can turn the spinner down independent to the track. So if I am really close to cars I will not salt the cars. I had to put my salters on blocks to get them high enough off the ground.
  5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Mounted on a couple 2x4s on the flat bed would be the best. Makes it so easy to keep clean, and extends the life of the drag chain. Also makes checking the tenison on the chain easier also. As for the shoots, The idea of throwing from closer to the ground is nice for under cars, not having salt bouncing all over the ground is nice. But those long shoots worry me about getting damaged on a late night unseen bump. Myself I would go standard shoot
  6. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Thanks for the help/info. Flatbed it is with the standard chute. This will be my first v box and am looking forward to the extra business it will bring.
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Another problem with the long shoot is when salting with snow on the ground the salt will not bounce or spread once hitting the ground. Therefore you have to make more passes and closer together.
  8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Get the flatbed, great setup, very easy for maintenance
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What are all you guys shooting salt for?

Or are you referring to chutes?
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It goes a lot further and you do not need as mulch.
    I had a physcial today, my brain is still recovering.
  11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i guess i got to be the bad guy, but i liked the ex chute when i used to spread with a flat bed f350 pickup... with a 2500 truck you will not be able to use an ex chute because as soon as you put a heaping load on it the spinner will hit the ground....IMO a 3/4 ton is not enough truck for a 8' spreader, ...i would use something with dualls..... our current spreader is a Swenson and it has an adjustable chute.
  12. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

The truck will be fully capable. The only thing it won't have is the dual wheels.