1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Speedwing with a problem

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Stone Mountain, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Member

Hi guys. I have a 2004 Ford F-150 with a 760 on it. No problems. I also have an 06 F-150 with a 760 Speedwing with a real problem.
    Both work just fine, and the Speedwing is great, when plowing.
    Problem is, it doesn't come up very high. I've measured.
    The 04 F-150 blade rises a full 16" from rest, and obscures the headlights. The 06 Speedwing rises less than 10", to the point where I don't even need the plow lights, and when driving with the blade up, there is often not enough clearance to go over bumps and such. When entering or leaving even minor ramps up or down it often scrapes, where the older one doesn't.
    The dealer looked at it and says everything is just fine. They tell me the 06 truck is different, and that's why. Doesn't make snese to me.
    When parking the trucks side by side, the ride height is exactly the same. The understructure looks identical to me.

Anybody else have this problem, and is there a solution?

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I have an Idea to check the two plows next to each other. Raise both of them and measure how much of the lift cylinder is exposed at full height. That will tell you if your new plow isn't going as high as the old one. My wife has an 06 f-150 and I thought that the suspension was the same from 04 to 07. Even if your 06 is smaller the push bar should be about the same height.I have had funny things happen when the fluid is low, but I woud have thought your dealer would check that first. Just an idea to use to compare plows. Good luck!!!

3. truckie36

truckie36 Member

When the parts in the two pictures touch, that is as high as the plow can go.
    I have 13" clearance to the blade and about 9.5" to the rear of the shoes.

PICT0010.JPG

PICT0011.JPG

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  4. cowboysfan

cowboysfan Junior Member

AS pictured above make sure there isnt weld stopping it from going higher.if there is some weld on the second picture where it meets the top picture ground it smooth and u should be find

5. BDB

BDB Senior Member

The tab in the first picture you can cut off a bit to get it to raise higher. 1/2 or so will give you quite a bit more lift. But you have to be careful not to cut to much off so when you are stacking you don't bend those tabs and the plow into the truck.

6. Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Member

Thnks guys. I'll check when the sun is out.

Seems odd though. Ride height, and the height of the light bars is exactly the same, but there is a 6 1/2 inch difference in travel between the blades.

7. truckie36

truckie36 Member

Are the stops in the first picture at the same angle on both vehicle mounts?
    Are both plows the same length from the vehicle? If one is longer it will raise higher.

8. appleman

appleman Junior Member

Stone Mountain,

If the plow is not going up to the stops as shown in the photo. You should go back to the dealer and have them check to make sure that the lift cylinder is fully extending.

You will need to measure the ram length against one that is working correctly.

9. Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Member

Dealer checked it over and says it's working perfectly. They say the 06 F-150 frame is different, although that makes no sense to me.

10. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Im not sure how different the frames are but try putting the Speedwing on the 04' and the straight blade on the 06' and see if theres a difference in lift height. Its worth a try right?

11. BDB

BDB Senior Member

As far as I know...which is enough to make me dangerous. All of the pushtubes are supposed to be mounted at the same height from the ground. And all the attachment points are the same on any plow. You should talk to Jerry...from Jerry's service in Erie. He makes them 810's lift to 28" cutting edge to ground height. He has a few tricks in his sleeve to make them go above and beyond.

12. plowboy21

plowboy21 Member

there is probly gointo be a diffrence in the lift hights cause if u lift the speed wing at full angle it has to be higher them the straight bladecause the trailing wing falls back so it is probly set up to run the way it dose

just got the 860 sppedwing installed on my 03 dodge ram 2500
    new to the sit ehave pics comin soon:waving:

when is the snow gonna start stickin:confused: