1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New SnowDogg HD/EX85 or used Western Ultra?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 86 CJ, Nov 21, 2013.

1. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I have been plowing for years with westerns and some Meyers and had great luck with both. I recently sold my old Plow truck with a conventional Western Pro on it and now have a 2008 F250 as a DD and plowing when needed. I was at a Western/SnowDogg dealer looking at some plows and the new Westerns are out of my budget :( I do like the look of the SnowDogg and the shop says that they are selling like HOT cakes, have not seen many return issues with them....Soooooo I can get a brand new EX85 in my budget and use for commercial plowing?? Any one using them out there and how are they liking, disliking them??

I know the Westerns are good, so opinions on them please...Thanks

2. jtslawncare

jtslawncare Member

my buddy has one on his 06 duramax, I forgot what model it is, but he's had it for 2 years now and love it. only issue he has had with it was a wiring issue on truck side which was his mistake, besides that he loves it. He plow's a nursing home for me and a few other commercial places and it scraps pretty good imo

3. TheHammer

TheHammer Junior Member

I went with the EX8 so I could get the Plow into the garage for storage. I figure if I wanted to get extra width later I could add the wings that fold behind the plow when not in use. I need to make some money with it before investing in wings, first things first! Purchased Locally in Severna Park and installed it myself. I only have 4 hours of time on it so not long enough to give you an opinion of it.

4. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Thanks....You dont live far from me, where did u buy? how much. I was going to buy and install myself, but the dealer only wants $350 to install. What did u mount it too? how long did it take?

5. TheHammer

TheHammer Junior Member

I purchased it from Severna lawn and power. Cost was about $3800. I did not price shop to much mainly because I felt like it was a good value. And I like to deal locally in case I have any issues. Having a vehicle lift to install the truck side mount made it easy. I would hate to lay on the floor and hold that steal over my head while bolting it up. The instructions were easy enough to follow. The truck side wireing and mount took me a full evening 4-5 hours. Plow assembly went very fast, having a skid steer to hang the blade from made the job much faster to mount the blade to the rack. I don't think $350 is unreasonable amount for install I just like knowing how everything works when I break it.

6. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Thanks, sounds good. I am back and forth with Installing it myself. I did one on my jeep 3 years ago, got air tools, truck is lifted already, so we will see, thanks...hope u make some $$ with the new Dogg this season. Do u work for yourself or for a contractor?

7. TheHammer

TheHammer Junior Member

I plow for a commercial landscape company. Drove their trucks for a long time. This is only the second year with a truck of my own.

8. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Sounds good. I have some of my own small accounts, then go work for some landscape friends, let me know it u ever need some extra work in the area.

9. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Do you have a snowdogg dealer in your area? if not, itl be hard to work if you have something break.

10. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

yes I do, about 15 min away from me. they are also a very reputable Western dealer and are there 24 hrs during storms for service....cant beat that