1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New snowblower is fantastic!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sven1277, Mar 5, 2009.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I started off the season with a commercial simplicity 38" blower and a few single stage toros. Dissapointingly, the simplicity didn't work out for us. At first, the front end wouldn't stay sucked down to the sidewalk surface. It would ride up. Dealer experienced the same problem with it. Put 2 20lb scag weights on the front and it didn't have enough traction. Meanwhile, the single stages were working great, so I brought it back and picked up a couple used 3650's he had. I knew at some point I would need a 2 stage for the big snow.
    Last week, my dealer happened to have a used honda hs1132ta available. A senior housing center had 3 and didn't need them all. It still looks new. Picked it up for $1200. We had a 12" storm on monday and this machine worked like a champ. I'm very happy with it. One sidewalk we do was covered with dense snow thrown from the town plow. A lot of it was 20" high! It was a snail pace through that one, but it worked. The single stage wouldn't have touched it and my guys would be cursing me if they had to shovel 1/2 mile of that. Just thought I would share my story.
  2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You really can't beat the single stage Toros! I think Honda is a little behind Toro in snowblower department, but Honda engines are the best! Sidewalks with plowed snow from the street are the worst obsticle doing snow removal in my opinion. Glad you found something that works for you.

D DRUMS LLC Junior Member

Is that the one i saw at ganos for 2699
  4. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

It was at ganos, but used, about 4 years old in great shape.

The one i saw at ganos was new they said the guy that had it said it would not stay down and he only had about 1 hr. On it so he took it back and sold him some others
  6. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Yeah, that was the simplicity we had at the beginning of the season.
  7. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I have a Simplicity 38" and have never had that problem. How good does those Toro single stages work in heavy snow. I sold my 2 stroke single stage and bought 2- four strokes and they work great in powder but if you get any heavy snow at all they have a very hard time blowing it or it changes into a power broom. They are also Simplicity.
  8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Depending on how wet the snow is, the discharge needs to be cleared or the need to be tapped by jerking back on the handle bars. I think the power lites are better than the 3650/power curves
  9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

cant say i have experience with simplicity's 38s... but i know both dealers i talked to advised only to go up to 32" for any commercial stuff for a number of reasons. I was thrilled to have all of ours out for once doing sidewalks finally! The 32s chewed up anything in sight. I think most went through a few tanks of gas, more than they ate in the past 3 seasons after the storm in early 2005! The bottom "cutting edge" on them to adjust, so do the shoes on the sides. If the shoes are up too high or just right, it should slice up even chunks of ice off the cement.

If youre going too fast, sure it will jump up and want to ride over, but ours dont run any extra weights and my guys ran around basically just following them at times and were fine.

Just was wondering why they did not like the 38s