1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Snoway 29R Plow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by snow4me, Feb 27, 2014.

1. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

I just picked up a new plow for my 2007 Chevy 2500HD.

I know it's late in the season but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on it. Many thanks to Rob & Dave at Cherry Valley Landscape Center in Rockford IL.

The pic is shown with it on my 2003 Chevy 1500 that I had to use to go and pick it up. I've got the 2500 in my garage while I'm changing all fluids and installing plow mount and wiring.

I am anxious to see how well it performs on the next storm we get...

2014-02-26 15.55.12.jpg
  2. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

Great choice for that truck! I love snoways. I've owned them since 1993. They are great. Easy to service and durable. Congratulations!
  3. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

That's a great plow. I considered getting one before I ended up going the V route. What's that weigh though? Looks like a lot of weight on the front of a half-ton!
  4. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I just looked it up. 705 lbs. plus the mount. That's not nearly as heavy as I thought it would be. Nice set-up anyway!
  5. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

You are gonna love it. I'm a new 29R owner as if this year. I'm an old V plow user and was talked into buying this instead of a Vee. So glad I did.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm another Vee convert on year four carrying a 29R, I don't need to drift bust, I carried a Vee for the scoop position. This a a far better unit for everything else.

Have you programed your Macros yet??? well worth doing!!
  7. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Not yet...just plowed for first time with it this morning. Not sure how to do it yet, guess I should read the manual lol!

Tell me why this is important? I think that it would be useful if I could hit one button instead of several to set wings for scooping and also flattening out for when you are lifting snow over tall curbs. How many macros did you program for yours?
  8. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Yeah the weight is not as bad as you'd think. No dealer will recommend doing this but I've been running Snoway 29 series plows on 1/2 ton Chevy trucks with Timbrens and a few rounds of torsion bar pressure increase for the past 6 winters. During that time frame I have had to replace nothing on the front end of my trucks other than one wheel bearing and hub assembly which cost me $60.

I have two 7.5 foot two 8 foot straight blade 29 plows which weigh 570#'s and 635#'s respectively. The new 29R plow weighs in at 705#'s so its' only adding 70#'s to what I was already doing. Not that I intend to keep this plow on that truck. I actually bought a 2500HD that this plow will go onto. I just haven't had time to install the mount yet so it's still in my garage.

I absolutely had to try this plow this morning after a 1" snowfall so I left it on the 1500 and went to work. I have an office parking lot that I timed earlier this season in 40 minutes after a 1" snow to do with the 8 foot straight blade.

Not having any experience with the 29R and no macros programmed yet I knocked that same parking lot out in 20 minutes this morning. That's a 50% increase in productivity!

I had heard that it would increase productivity by 30%. I'm sure it was due to the type of snow which was the 1" fluffy powdery stuff both times I was comparing my time to. On heavier wetter snow I bet 30% less time is more accurate.

2003 Silverado 1500 with 29R.jpg
  9. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

I am considering one of these for my truck I just bought, how far down does the mount on the truck sit? I have only had westerns, and really like the clean look when the plow is off. Also, has Snoway worked out the bugs on these plows, I know a few years ago there seemed to be some issues with these.
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

All three.

A raises the blade
    B straightens the wings
    C turns it into a box pusher.
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Totally different animal, you are referring to the now discontinued MEGA series.
  12. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. I did similar to mine but instead of going full 45 degree box style I stopped with the wings 1/2 way closed.

It was kind of tricky to program because you have to hit both buttons simultaneously and release simultaneously otherwise one would be more open or closed than the other. I like this position for carrying the largest load of snow I can into the pile.

Mine is inverse of your list just because it made more sense to my brain to go in this order:

A. Scoop wing position
    B. Flatten the Blade
    c.) Raise the Blade
  13. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

I remember the Mega Blade problems and I'm thankful I was not yet ready to invest in a winged plow when they came out with that unit.

I have to say despite their issues and handling of that mess I am quite happy that I chose to buy Snoway plows when I started plowing 6 years ago.

I put the 29R back onto my 1500 and plowed a 4" powdery overnight snowfall in the same parking lot as yesterday. It took me about 40 minutes. If I had the 8 foot straight blade on the truck I'd have plowed for 1 hour and shifted transmission at least 20 more times.

Having this tool in my tool box not only makes me more efficient plowing but also reduces the wear and tear on my truck. :mechanic:
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Do you have a pro control or pro control II?

I'm going pro control II even if I have to go back to wired. The joystick/macro buttons are more intuitive, you can use the macros while keeping your thumb on the joystick (really a thumb toggle). Very nice grip much trimmer and more comfortable in the hand. They now operate the tailgate spreaders so you need to change the receiver to go to the PCII. It's only available in wired currently but we're hoping to see the wireless for next season.

Once I go PCII it'll be A box, B raise, C flatten the blade.;)