1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Snow Tires Yaaaay!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by robertpkerrsr@h, Jan 2, 2010.

1. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

After much internet surfing and phone calls made by my tire dealer I ended up getting four Bridgestone Blizzak W965 snow tires. I am much smarter about tires in general now. I learned that a good snow tire does not fill up with snow, is made from a different type of rubber than all season tires and the more sipes the better. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. Good snow tires are completely different from all season tires. when it comes to snowplowing on hills

Thanks again

2. Blizzak

I have had some good remarks about the Blizzak for winter use (ie get them off in Summer) I loved my Coopers for the first two years. After the sipes wore down, I feel the icy traction really got bad. Discount wont re-sipe a factory siped tire and I wish I could find and old fashioned tractionizer.
    It is my understanding that the Blizzaks have a special compound for the outer half of the tread.

I would like to hear how they do after they have some wear (?)
    thanks
    tc

3. emerson

emerson Junior Member

On the wife's CRV and Aerostar Blizzacks have been great. They were on the Honda for 2 1/2 years and the traction didn't seem to diminish with wear. I haven't tried them on the truck, I have a pair of studded Trailcutters on now. I am quite happy with them now in the second winter.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What size?

5. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Their great in the snow but they are the worst when it;s dry out. At least on car's, thee are like driving on sponges.

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Its that sponginess that makes them so good in the snow and ice...the rubber compound is actually very sponge-like in that its chock full of tiny little holes...its the edges of these holes that create alot of the grip on ice.

Blizzaks used to be different compounds on the outside half of the tread, but after a couple years they figured out a compound that gave that sort of traction right through the whole treadlife.

7. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

All of this "tire sience" is starting to make sense. I will definitely be taking them off in the spring as soon as possible.(looking for wheels now). I don't remember the exact size. I know they are 16" load range E.

They work so well I mostly plow in two wheel drive now.

This past storm I still had about 1200 lbs of ballast in the bed of the truck. Does anybody think that may be too much weight for these tires?? The dealer put 70psi in each tire.

Thanks for the comments and help

8. mayhem

from Peru MA

They're E rated, so load em up. You should be able to use your truck as normal, but be aware that they will wear out more quckly if you drive around with alot of excess weight. So when you're done wiht your storm, take the plow off and unload the ballast.

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What you said is true but no way am I unloading my ballast each time. I worry (well, I dont worry, but you know what I mean) about the fronts more with the plow up front and all of the turning the tires do. The rears go mostly straight so I just leave the weight in there.

10. mayhem

from Peru MA

Everyone has their own preferences of course. I usually only use ballast when I have my plow on, but sometimes I leave it in there. Depends on what you use for ballast, how much and how convenient your storage for it is. I use firewood, so its fairly easy and useful for me to keep lading and unloading it through out the year and it keeps my outdoor stacks moving inside steadily throughout the winter. Its work that has to be done regardless, so I jsut try to make the best of it.

11. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

That's what I was thinking about leaving weight in the truck I have about 800lbs of 2x3 steel bars that I leave in my truck all winter. They don't take up much room and I can still use the back of the truck (I have a fiberglass cap on the back). With my old all season tires I was adding about 400lbs of sand in buckets. I always remove the sand and plow when I am done plowing. Maybe with the new tires I won't need as much ballast??