1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Snow Magazine- I don't get it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CNYScapes, Feb 28, 2006.

1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

OK, I get this Snow Magazine - by GIE Media, I would assume most of you guys get this because I never signed up for it, it just shows up in my mail. Anyways they have this article in here about this guy who runs a multi mullion dollar snow biz, and Im interested so I keep reading on until I get to the part where it says his area averages BETWEEN 14 AND 20 INCHES OF SNOW PER SEASON. Are you kidding me? To me this is a joke! Our area averages about 130 inches per season and we usually go out about 25-45 times per season.

Nothing against this guy, but 14-20 inches per season, talk about easy money! Yes the gross amounts he is doing is impressive, but how many times per year does he actually plow 4 or 5 times? I dont know I just think the magazine could put somebody in who actually plows some snow for us to learn from!

2. mole

mole Senior Member

keep reading it, they get more Ice events so they use more salt.

3. mole

mole Senior Member

whoops to quick, I thought the same thing at first. I live in buffalo 20" in one event is nothing to us

4. Quality1

Quality1 Member

The guy has no equipment. Sounds like a great person to interview for snow operations. :nono: What would be the difference in putting a company like US Maintenance or Genesis on the cover ? I thought it was kinda ironic with all the bit**ing going on about these companies that a guy can do millions of dollars on 20" of snow and some ice events. Makes you wonder how much money is being left on the table in the areas that actually get snow.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No difference. That's the difference between operating a BUSINESS and pushing snow. They're not interviewing him as to how to plow, but how to run a snow business.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending the national companies. I've said repeatedly that I'd never work for one. BUT - give credit where credit is due. The nature of business is finding a niche and filling it. In his area there's not many snowplows running around so it's a great place for seasonal contracts - perfect for larger chain-store companies and industrial sites. He takes in all this money on contracts and pays out only when it actually snows - or freezes. Don't believe me? Ask someone from the Kansas City area who plows on the per push basis how they do. (Hint - I lived 60 miles north of KC for three years and never needed a street or parking lot plowed)

6. Quality1

Quality1 Member

Exactly what I meant. Give credit where it is due.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Read the same article today. I know 14ins big deal. But he's like an insurance company,if you get into an accident you don't take your truck to the insurance company to get it fixed because they don't have any equipment. So it s the same way it's snows he'll send out the subs and and take care of everything else.It just sounds like he actually pays his people.

8. Quality1

Quality1 Member

Good point on the payment. I have not heard the bad stories about his co. Though he is fairly new.

9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

you must have lived in st joe? i live in maryville, 40 miles north.

10. Mick

from Maine

Yep. Sent you a Private Message.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If his gross is impressive and he doesn't have to push much snow his net must be fantasic

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know what we average here in the Philly suburbs, but likely not much more. Sure, we're over that range already this season, but not by much, and , it is March already.

It's NOT the quantity of snow, it's how you make your money.

It's been discussed on here before about hourly rates. You guys may GET a lot of snow, but cant charge what we do down here where we don't get so much.

Just yesterday morning, I was out for 1hr and 10 minutes (1.5hrs total if you include loading my truck) and came in just a hair under $500...net (well, minus materials/gas). You guys can have all those inches of snow, and hours and hours of plowing.... I like working for an hour and making what some people work a couple days for.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  13. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

OK YOu guys busted me, Im just JEALOUS. I still dont think its worth reading.

14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I think the guy looks goofy with the boxing gloves and snow shovel over his shoulder.

15. RSK

RSK Senior Member

HI GUYS
    DO ANY OF YOU HAVE WEB SITES FOR SNOW PLOWING MAGAZINE
    I LIKE TO GET SOME BUT CAN NOT FIND ANY OFF THEM INFO WITH THIS

16. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

17. RSK

RSK Senior Member

18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think it's monthly.

19. Mick

from Maine

SNOW MAGAZINE is published six times a year.

20. lumberjack49

lumberjack49 Junior Member
    from Mi

Anybody have the Promotional Code