1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Snow guy in Kansas City

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Ethan51, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Ethan51

Ethan51 Junior Member

Hey all! I have been a little bit of a lurker here at Plowsite, but I've been in the outdoor industry for 5 years. My company does high-end residential landscaping, lawn care, and tree care.

I had a quick question for you guys, I am looking to outfit myself for pushing snow this winter. I already have a contact that said he will funnel me as much work as I can handle, for however many trucks I can man. So the work will not be lacking, but I was curious what you guys thought about this deal on a truck with a Boss blade: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4738455165.html

I have already talked to him and he agreed to $9500 with the boss v plow. What do you guys think?

Another question I have for you veterans of snow plowing, do you like plowing with duallies or SRW trucks? I am looking either of these trucks to possibly replace my F-250: http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/cto/4790650371.html, http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4770050450.html, http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4767566515.html (I will be purchasing another boss v-plow for which ever truck I end up with)

So, what do you all think?xysport

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Before answers. What type of plowing?
    Can you use another trk for work?
    I'm assuming your gunna buy 2?

3. Ethan51

Ethan51 Junior Member

All commercial, no residential anything. I will for sure by buying two trucks, one dedicated work truck (the chevy dump) and one new personal truck.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ah ok. Got cha
    If the dully isn't needed I'd get the srw. Less tires to buy and a little easier to park

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are you going to offer salting?
    if so a drw may be the better option.

6. Ethan51

Ethan51 Junior Member

I kicked around the idea of offering ice control as well, but I have not done much research into it past getting a quote from my local boss dealer on installing a 800lb tailgate spreader. Is that something that most people find worth investing in? I know the guy I will be getting alot of the contracts from only has walk behind 120lb spreaders, and he does everything with those.

7. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

First off neighbor, welcome to the snow and ice management industry. Second, when it comes to what truck to get, you REALLY need to be looking/thinking 5 years down the road unless you plan on trading out of trucks as you grow. So, even if a dually isn't what you need/want tomorrow, if it is what you may need down the road, it might be good to get it now and grow into it rather than grow out of a smaller one within a year or two. And I am also VERY big on company image and branding, so all my trucks have always been red (because it's my favorite color) with my company logo on the side in green lettering. So every time you see a red Ford with green lettering, you know it's me even if you don't read. The idea is that you stay consistent over time. People will see your truck time after time and it will dawn on them, "Oh, I've seen his trucks around town for years." Think about road trips with the family, you see the golden arches off in the distance, you know its a McD's without even being close enough to read. So, having said all that, I wouldn't want the two-tone, because it will be hard to match it down the road with the next truck.

As for salting, absolutely you want to offer it to your customers. You don't plan on staying under this friends wing for ever right? So it is something you want to offer so that for those freezing rain, sleet or ice storms where there isn't anything to push, you can still get out and generate money if you are salting. There are also times when you will need to pre-treat in order to even be able to plow, so you will want that capability for those times as well.

8. Ethan51

Ethan51 Junior Member

Hey Derek! What part of town do you normally operate in? I may have seen your F-550 around. Good call on the buying what will suit me better in the long run, I am really leaning towards one of the duallies, as I am starting to get into the heavier side of the outdoor industry.

Also, on the company branding: I totally agree, I am currently trying to switch too all black trucks and trailers, I work with a few general contractors that work in Lionsgate, Loch Lloyd, Mission Hills, and old Leawood, so a clean and sorted image is very important for me to keep up as well.

What dealer did you end up getting your snow equipment from? I am talking to American Equipment mainly, they have really been great to work with.

9. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I'm strictly Platte and Clay counties, north of the river, Missouri only for all my services EXCEPT for my roll-off rentals, which I offer to the entire KC metro area. As for upfitter, Kranz did my Meyer plow, but the truck (Swaploader hooklift, under body boxes, custom aluminum cab guard and all my bodies) were done by American Equipment. Talk to Ryan, they know me well and next time you are in there, Ryan probably can show you pictures of what they did to my truck.