1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Snow Bucket

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Peterbilt, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Ok. So it looks a bit goofy. But, this is my new Snow Bucket for my Deere 4520. Its made to improve my lifting and stacking with this tractor. With normal High volume buckets, I loose all my lifting a crowding ability with this tractor. This bucket should help with that, and keep my pushing volume about the same.

J.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

looks sweet, ive never seen a snow bucket like that - Nick

3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

That looks pretty interesting. I see your point about loosing lift capacity. But how is that going to hold a good amount of snow? Not critizing, just wondering.

4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

thats clever. im very interested in seeing how it works

5. BETHELSKIER

BETHELSKIER Senior Member

Looks good.Looking foward to some action shots this winter!

6. nosnownogo

nosnownogo Member

another bucket

here is a reversible bucket

7325872_1.jpeg

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I see where your coming from but not sure how much better it will stack then an 8ft steel edge trip pusher. Another thing those gussets in the bucket just collect snow and then it's hard to get out, is there any way you can just put a peice of 6" plate along the back of the inside bottom of the bucket for a continuous wedge instead of using those gussets. Not trying to be a PITA just giving my $.02.:drinkup:

8. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

x on that JD. one of the trojan loaders that i use has a large plate in the middle and it just sits there. have to hose it out with warm water or start using it to scoop salt and load into the salt truck

9. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

It'll work good in short runs...Long runs will just dump out the sides. Especially after the bucket gets packed with snow like JD said. Make sure you "shake" it well after every run. It won't stack any better.. if not a little worse because the bucket edge is now closer to the tractor and it won't be able to push as far back without getting the nose of the tractor up into the pile. Excellent for close quarters work though!

10. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Is there a sister plate/ cutting edge that bolts onto that bucket?

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you can see the holes but I can't understand why guys would be plowing with a bucket anyway. your just looking at bending your farm loader, if you catch something.

12. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

My $.02

It my loader bucket. Not yours. Its not like I decide to just build this thing. There has been 6 months of thought put into it. I am not at all worried about snow spilling out the sides. I have a blade behind me windrowing spillage back in.

I don't like using bucket for snow either, but this tractor wont handle even an 8ft pusher in wet snow or any snow fall over 4 inches. It just fills up to quick, and the tractor spins out. This bucket in my eyes is the solution.

And a pusher on this tractor wont stack as high as I can with a bucket. With a pusher, once the front tires hit the snow pile, it stops. It doesn't climb like a bigger tractor will. So once I stop, the only thing I can do is go straight up, and all the load comes straight down. With bucket, you can lift and flip it back. Back up and repeat... I will say that my pushers on my skid steers do the same thing, but they push so much faster that I don't complain about it.

We won't know if or how this thing works untill we get some snow. so untill then lets all pass judgement and guess how its going to work. lol

J

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Wasn't trying to make you upset Pete. I really don't like running buckets on the ground for plowing, we've bent loaders doing that and we don't allow any of our units to do it that way. The design of your bucket is great for you purpose but I would try and get rid of the gussets if you can. The plate on the inside back should give you more support and the snow won't stick.:drinkup:

14. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Thanks Dave. From you I will listen. Here, not alot of guys use pushers. They plow by the hour not the bid. I'll bet you know how I do it. lol!!

I am going to load the tire on this machine to try to get a bit more power to the ground. This is my machine, I run it every time it snows. I hate being in the trucks! I am so used to running a tractor set up like this one, that its hard to run anything else.

J.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Trucks seem very exhausting to drive after being in a tractor, the visibility is second to none.

16. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Looks good. I can easily see how that will pile higher. Looks like a great setup if there is a blade in the back!

17. 06HD BOSS

Dave is only so helpful because you have a green tractor :D

18. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Not quite as much Green as his! In the paint and price department!

J.

19. 06HD BOSS

know how much more green paint costs in Canada? :D

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Green is Green.:drinkup: