1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Skid Steer Loader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bluejlandscaper, Dec 24, 2014.

1. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

Looking to buy a new skid steer loader. Looking at Bobcat M650, Kubota SSV75 (Won't be available until late spring 2015) and JCB 280. All machines are about 74 HP,with 2800 lbs operating capacity. Want it equipped with joy stick controls, two speed transmission, possible hi-flow hydraulics and turf type tires instead of standard R4 tires, on skids. (Much better traction plowing with turf type tires, as all my New Holland tractors have the loaded, turf type tires, instead of the R4's). Will be either mounting a 10' ProTec pusher or a 10' Kage system, on the new skid.
    I was most impressed with the JCB unit and it's visibility. You're not sitting in a cage, as with the Bobcat and Kubota machines. Also the side entry door on the JCB is so much easier to enter the machine, than the other two. Not seeing too many JCB wheeled units out there, I wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with the JCB, skid steer?

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Not a jcb fan at all. The cab design is cool though.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I rented one of the first JCB skidsteers way back when. Late 90's? So my opinion is dated.

I hated it. I'm 6'3" and had a heck of a time climbing in and out of it. I hated the one arm because it throws off your balance going over curbs, bumps, etc.

I think they stopped making them and redesigned them, but that was enough experience for me.

I also have a JCB 212SU that has worked well for me, but parts availability is not always the greatest.

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I test drove one this fall... I absolutely love the design and machine, except I felt the controls were very unresponsive and laggy even on the most sensitive setting when compared to my bobcat 650... that being said I'll probably buy one as my next machine simply because the cab and being able to climb out when the boom slightly raised

5. brasski

brasski Member

Not a JCB fan we had a couple backhoes years ago to push snow and they rust bad and getting parts sucks. Think about resale unless your going to keep it forever Bobcat or even Cat will have the best and easiest resale.

6. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

We like the JCB, honestly in my

own use, overall I have noticed only minor differences between all the various brands (Case, Bobcat, Cat and New Hollands). In our opinion JCB offers the best visibility, access, and best overall value for us. Dealer support should be a major factor in your decision, our experience overall has been excellent, and good luck with your decision, they are all fine brands.

7. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Love our Bobcat and service..

8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

It's all about dealer support, buy one that you have a close dealer

9. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I'm waiting for a demo of the JCB and BobCat. No snow in over two weeks here and nothing in the immediate forecast either. Not like last year with a lot of plowing events, in December.
    As far as dealer support goes, all three dealers, have great support out there and I have dealt with both, BobCat and Kubota, already.
    The Cat dealer is about 40 miles away, now and they are not really interested in the little contractor, anymore Just the biggies, that have many Cat machines. I know as I have a Cat D3, dozer and had a Cat crawler loader, years ago.
    This week I'm going to meet with a contractor that has several JCB skidsteers and compact track loaders, in his fleet. In a quick phone conversation, last week, with the equipment manager, he stated they have tried all the major brands in the past, as they upgrade every three or four years, they have a great liking for the JCB units. He also said their operators love them! And they are very pleased with the dealer support. No parts problems as a couple responders have stated in their replies to my post.
    I'll keep you posted.

10. exclusive

exclusive Member

Hey I leased a jcb 280 this oct with all the goodies and I must say I love everything about this skid side door visibility power can room I'm 6 foot and 300 lbs and I can stretch out in there and skid before this was a 650 bobcat I hated it there joystick suck in bobcat hope this helps

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

What kind of work did you do with it?

12. Mark Oomkes

It wasn't a class in how to use punctuation.

13. WIPensFan

Period!!

14. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

I'm glad that you like your machine. Do you use it , snow plowing, not that we've had that much snow to plow this year, so far?

15. WIPensFan

I'm guessing by the deafening silence, he didn't do much with it. Except go in and out of the door comfortably. That door thing seems gimmicky to me. I don't know if JCB makes a good skid steer or not, but buying something because of the door?? Not me.

16. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

Appreciate your comments. It's not just about the entry door. I did some viewing on YouTube last night. There are two videos about, using a JCB skidsteer loader from your neck of the woods, plowing snow. One is from the Town of Brookfield, WI, in the South East part and the other is from Birchwood Landscaping & Snowplowing in Southern WI. Maybe you know the Town or the contractor. The owner of the company is very happy with his JCB skidsteer loaders. He owns several wheeled units and stated that he rents 20+ units for winter plowing. According to his report he does most of his plowing with the JCB skidsteers. He also states that his accident rate has decreased by 75% since he started using the JCB skids. His operators state that the visibility in the JCB skids, is better than any other skidsteer on the market. He is pleased with the machine's performance, ease of maintenance and low cost of operation. Also the easy entry door is a big plus, along with the roomier cab, compared to other skidsteer models, he's used in the past.
    I like his statements and comments. He uses the machines in his business and is totally satisfied with them.

Thumbs Up For the JCB Skidsteers!

17. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I've said for a long time that I don't like anything jcb builds. That being said if you're getting some good support from your dealer and you are comfortable operating it then it's probably going to be a good buy for you. Most people don't take into account that they aren't going to be the one's spend 6 8 10 hours in it plowing or moving material or whatever. Good luck with your new machine and hopefully it'll snow so you can put it to work

18. usmcdroach

usmcdroach Member

It's a nice machine until you put to much weight on one side of the bucket or try to pry on something and really screw up the 1 lift arm. I just bought a new cat wheeled machine and I tried out a jcb. I could see many repair bills with the jcb. The lift arm will tilt easily to one side so if you need the bucket flat or forks flat with a load in the air your screwed. As for the visibility my cat came with the upgraded touch screen and back up cam. Not only can you see when going back but can easily turn it to always on and see what's going on behind you

19. WIPensFan

I tried to search YouTube for JCB skids doing some real world digging or hard work, because I suspected that one arm deal would bend or break if stressed to one side. I couldn't find any videos other than the infomercial ones where the guys are obviously being paid for saying good things about them. I do realize that all brands have those videos out but also many others of just private owners doing some real work with them. I've had many many jobs with my Bobcat machines to where you are prying with a corner of the bucket to lift or loosen buried objects. Lifts the whole machine off the ground other than one front wheel sometimes. I wouldn't want to try that with the JCB. If anyone can prove me wrong I'm willing to listen...

20. Mark Oomkes

I didn't bend it, but even if you're not going straight into a pile of dirt, the one arm will cause the machine to lift crooked\off center.

I know I've hit stuff hard enough to wonder if I bent the arms on my Bobcat, and haven't.

I'm interested in a review since my experience was almost 15 yeas ago. I'm assuming that since Triple L\Chad said he loved the side door they must have redesigned that. He's about the same height or taller than I am and I thought it sucked.