1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new skid or older loader/backhoe?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by bullit340, Oct 24, 2008.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

I am still searching for another machine to help out on a large commercial lot. I am considering a new cat 246b or a used 1986 deere 310 4*4. I realize they are completely different machines. I am familliar with a skid and what I can do with it but have never plowed with a loader backhoe. I will be using a snow pusher on either machine. I already have a skid on site and a larger wheel loader on site, both with snow pushers.

The deere is in excellent shape and has 4500 hrs on it. Just the used part is scaring me, I think it should have plenty of life left in it and it should be somewhat reliable. It seems to have been always maintained. There would be a definate learning curve with the deere. I would have to drive it around to transport or have someone haul it for me, not that big a deal.

The cat skid steer is new and should be very reliable etc... Hopefully no worries. Skids definately do have limitations that I realize. There is no learning curve on the skids. The skid will see more use during the summer months

I am leaning towards the backhoe, as I think I can do more with it. What would you choose. Older backhoe or new skid?

2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Don't worry about the learning curve on the deere. If you can use a skiddy, the tractor is easier yet. Any other machines you might be considering?

3. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

I really dont have a preference on brand either case, cat or deere. I just figure with a backhoe I will get some use out of during the summer versus a wheel loader. We already have a skid steer that gets used during the summer. We used to run Kubota tractors so I figure the backhoe is just a bigger version.

I figure with the backhoe I will be able to stack snow higher, and relocate it quicker if needed. While working around cars the backhoe will be a bit slower than a skid but I figure it will definately push more snow.

4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

310 W/ 4500 hrs? :eek: it is over 20 year's old......maybe it's time to let a scrap yard have it:nod: .....it's not somehting i would like to rely on :nono:

oh and where did you find a new 246B?.....:rolleyes: how do you know it's new? and not just "NEWLEY REBUILT" ?

PJ

5. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I was looking hard at backhoes a few months ago. Decided to go with a bigger 2 speed skid. In my research, I found the older JD's were not going to be as reliable as something say mid 90's or newer. I talked to a lot of operators, dealers, guys on this site, etc. Unless it is 4x4, and you can know the entire maintenance history (log book of entire history, not a salesman's bs sales pitch), and it is dirt cheap, I think I would stay away. Now 4x4, super clean, good history in the form of maintenance books, and priced $12-15k and I might consider it expecting some repairs.

6. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

Thanks for the replys, I will try to make this short.

I have heard both views and checked out a lot of equipment. New vs Old I sorta believe newer is not always better for example 7.3 diesel- bullitproof vs 6.0 diesel p.0.s. I just know nothing about construction grade backhoes. I have read at 5000 hrs they start to get tired and their lifespan is usually 8k hrs. Others tell me the older stuff is the best and it will run forever, easier to fix etc... Dont get me wrong as a whole I have more confidence in new equpment reliability. Its just there are exceptions and I know nothing about backhoes. I guess when the pressure is on and the snow is flying you want to have no worries when you turn the key.

I guess my issue is that I cant justify buying a 5-10 yr old backhoe for 30k+ cause we just wouldn't use it enough during the rest of the year. I feel more comfortable buying a new skid steer cause we can use it more year round. I figured that if I had a backhoe I could probrably do the work of 2 skids and then some including stacking and moving snow better. My dilema is do I take a chance on older iron with the hope for increased productivity or use newer smaller more reliable iron that wont be as productive. I guess no mater how big the machine if it breaks down its useless and not very productive.

7. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

What did you end up buying in the 2 speed skid. I really want to go with the 2 speed option but, I am not convinced that the 2 speed is worth the extra $. I am told that I can not use a pusher in high speed otherwise I will burn out the motor. Basiclly I am told that the high would be for just moving around the ground etc...

8. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I went with the skid for the same reason. Year round I would be able to use it so much more. Less effective than a hoe in the snow, but more profitable the other 8-9 months of the year. We only see 5-6 snowfalls a year over 2" historically. Tough to drop $25-30k for at maximum 10 days use out of the year. I agree. I went with a Bobcat S220. Wanted a 250 or 300, but demos on the 220 showed me it would do 99% of what I wanted. Only downside was a full pallet of retaining wall blocks I have to down load half a dozen blocks, get the pallet on the ground then stack them up prior to moving. I bought used, so I am going to gamble my $18k with a chance of burning up 2 speed, not gamble $45-50k new price. In doing my research, many have said they run them hard in the snow with no problems. Dealer was the only one to warn me which was in regards to new ones and voiding warranty. Our local dealer is less than reputable in my opinion. I like the sales rep, but the dealership itself has gouged me on service repeatedly, and put my machines in the back for weeks because I didn't buy new from them. I now use a different mechanic, and he and other dealers laugh stating this is one of the main reasons for 2 speed. Also told me snow was one of the easiest uses of a skid loader. Once up to speed, you are really using momentum to push the snow. Not asking more of the 2 speed than to maintain a groundspeed vs. taking off in 2 and pushing major loads or digging dirt.

9. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i would still like to know where he is gonna buy a new 246B at?....seriously i would like to have one

10. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

cat.com drrr

11. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

Trust me once you go 2-speed you'll never go back.