1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New single stage 4 cycle Toro snow blowers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Anyone try these yet? We have a older one thats 2 cycle and goes through the snow fairly well, just wondering how these 4 cycle ones work. Of course the dealer said they are great but he wants to sell me a couple.
  2. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

We sold a 4 stroke single stage to a municipality who also has a ~1 year old 2 stoke single stage. I went out and talked to the guys after a 2 day solid snow storm, they LOVED it compared to the 2 stroke, liked the better torque and reduced odor.
  3. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

I would love to hear some more feedback on the 4 stroke models as well. Currently have 2 Toro 221qr #38583 and love them. Paid $450 out the door 2 years ago each, and now the 4 stroke equivalents run over $600+! Doesn't the EPA have anything better to do???

If anyone knows where I can find new #38583's please let me know!
  4. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

We have 5 of the small ones. They have changed the numbers every year it seems but I think the are 418 or 421's or something like that. I have nothign to compare them to as we did not have 2 strokes before but they work well. Pretty good up to 5 inches of snow. They don;t really like wet heavy stuff but will manage.

With that said 1 had bad fuel lines and would leak all the fuel out if it sat for 24 hrs. One worked well last season worked well for the first event this season and during the second would barley run. One of the guys fixed it but I am not sure what it was. Assuming something carb related. For being basicaly 1 year old that is somewhat disappointing.
  5. 97f250Heavyduty

97f250Heavyduty Senior Member

I only run 2 stroke toros, however I have tried out the 4 cycle models. The engine is a "toro" built engine made in china. The carbs are the weak point on them. They did have problems with them leaking and they have a tendency to surge and bog down under a load. Only 2 strokes for me. Look for a couple good used 2 strokes.
  6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I ran the 4 stroke last season and it works well. Quieter than the 2's but noticably heavier when loading and unloading. Just another machine you have to change oil in, PITA. If you have some 2 strokes and some 4 strokes you always run the risk of putting the wrong fuel in one of them. Maybe not yourself, but one of the guys not awake yet at 3am. I think they are good machines though.
  7. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Is Toro still using the R-Tek engine, but a 4 stroke version?
  8. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

Just got our first ones this year.....Last week we got 14 inches and they went right through it and blows the snow 30 ft no problem....I was shocked and was very happy with the productivity, as far as longevity goes, I wouldn't be surprised if we have problems, but I'm crossing my fingers we don't.
  9. 97f250Heavyduty

97f250Heavyduty Senior Member

Buck, the r tek which was a toro motor and then Briggs took it over is no longer available in new machines unless new old stock. The r tek was a 2 stroke motor. The new 4 cycle motors are completely different that toro produces.
  10. RocketRollinSX

RocketRollinSX Junior Member

I picked up a Toro 621 QZR this season and I cant believe I didnt get one sooner. I always laughed at guys who had what I thought was a waste of a machine, now I dont leave the house without it. I still use my 2 stage for anything over 5-6" but usually pass my Toro after for a final cleaning. It scrapes right to the pavement, no need for shovels any more!
  11. Brian Young

Well guys, picked one up yesterday and wow was the dealer busy! Luckily they were open til 1 on new years eve. Anyways, here's my take. First its a bit heavier I think then our CR2450 (2 cycle version), Its a lot quieter, its 2 inches smaller in width but no big deal. I only used it at my house because those are the only sidewalks not done yet....go figure. I fired it up the way my dealer told me to, prime twice, choke and pull twice then take the choke off and pull again....oooook. Anyways it fired right up and I started moving snow. The sidewalks were covered in 10'ish inches of kind of frozen snow that's been sitting for a while. It didn't go through it like butter, I had to back off a few times or it would have stalled right out. When I slowed down a bit it did go right through everything with no problem without bogging down any and threw it across the street into the neighbor's lawn,lol (about 30-40ft), as usual with these paddle type blower's it scraped right down to the pavement and even took off some ice where people had walked. I wish I could still get a 2 cycle version but I looked and couldn't find one so yes now we need to be careful as to not mix up the fuel but this one goes on my truck so no issues there, I was surprised and glad it still has the power to go through some fairly deep stuff. All in all for 350.00 you can't go wrong, it surely beats a shovel! Hope this helps those who are looking for a small blower.
  12. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I have a old old Toro blower it is a CCR1000. 2 cycle 3hp engine but it does everything I need it to. I was actually just looking on there website Sunday because I think I may buy a new one once this round of money start flowing in. I love the one I have it is extremely light, blows good and fires right up every time. I just know it is getting to the age that I better replace it or it is going to leave me stranded. I don't do a lot of sidewalks but the ones I do are pretty good size. At the factories I do I clean them every 6-8 hours so they really never get that much snow on them and the strip mall I do I clean pretty often as well. I used to swear by 2 stage blowers but the first time I used a single stage I have almost retired my 2 stages now. I still have one I keep for when we get a real deep snow but I hate using it. Is there a model you guys would recommend over another? I was just going to buy the cheapest one they have because I figured it would be the lightest. I want something that will hold up well for me but I don't want to pay big $$ for one either since I don't do a lot of blowing.
  13. tebletlawns

tebletlawns Member

I have 2 new Toro's bought this year and 2 Honda's bought last year. Each the biggest single stage model, the Toro's cost $115 less each per unit. While I'm not disapointed with Toro's, I prefer the Honda model. Easiest things to start every time. Love the Honda engine.
  14. Brian Young

I would have preferred the Honda too but at double the cost.....and they weigh considerably more. If I did more sidewalks I would probably put more thought into a way to get it on and off the truck easier and went with a Honda but we bought this pretty much for a back up. This is a just in case the other sidewalk guys dont show or touch ups are needed. It was an easy sell to my Boss (the Wife,lol) So far we would have saved 4 hours in total labor if we had this during the last storm. So in 1 storm its already 1/3 paid off.
  15. tebletlawns

tebletlawns Member

A Toro cost 499 and a Honda was 615 so I saved 230 when I purchased the Toro's. The Honda's wiegh only 2# more and the Honda's are a tad shorter. Either way the Toro should be plenty good for you. They work fine for us so far.
  16. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

We bought a 621 QZR this year and love it. So far no problems and the quick chute is the bomb.com. FWIW, an Ice Buster spreader and a 621 are a perfect side by side fit in a $100 Harbor Freight aluminum hitch hauler. Makes it easy to load and unload at knee level and leaves the bed of the truck open for a pallet of ice melter, etc.
  17. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Do you have a picture of that setup?

I went with the Honda HS520. Honda has shown to me over the years that the are ultra dependable, and I've never heard a bad thing about this particular blower. I am hand spreading with 5 gall buckets now, but would like to see a nice spreader. I run magic salt though, and it tends to be a lil damp.

I also hand load it in and out of my truck by myself, it's not a box of cookies, but it is doable.
  18. Brian Young

Man! the TORO we just bought was only 350.00 and the Honda was just over 600.00 Now that I have one to use I wish we had more sidewalks to do,lol One place we do, they have their employee's shovel and I feel bad for they guys. Its not a big place but very windy and a lot of snow.
  19. snowremoval4les

snowremoval4les Member

I own 3 Toro CCR2000's and oh my, I can't tell you how much I like them. They are light, easy in and out of trucks, and the parts aren't horribly expensive (like belts,paddles,shave plates) The guys like using them compared to the two, two stages I have because they work that well. We got pounded with our first storm two weeks ago and it was 8" inches of wet, heavy snow. After seeing how well my two toros did, i went out and bought the third one!
  20. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

We got last week's snow cleaned up and the forecast is clear and sunny for the foreseeable future so we took it off the truck today. As soon as we get another event (if we do LOL) I'll try to remember to get a pic for you.

I wouldn't call these little spreaders "nice" but they work well for the Peladow calcium chloride pellets we use. We've had one of them for about 8 years and although it is definitely on its last leg it has served us well. We have improvised some plastic bushings on the spinner shaft, etc. to keep it going this long but all in all I'd buy another one.