1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Sidewalk Rig

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 4x4Farmer, Sep 17, 2013.

1. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Well after fighting with subbing out sidewalks for the since the beginning of time I decided to do them myself. I picked up this 1997 F-935 Diesel with 1500 hrs on it. Everything seems real tight and runs top notch. Picked up a 246 broom with some real good brushes on it just needed some cosmetic work. Only problem was the broom was for a JD 420 or 430 but I bought the mounting and the gearbox assembly off e-bay for 600 bucks. Repainted the broom, it Wasent that bad but beings I had all the shields off while I put new bearings and sprockets on it I figured may as well. Shes coming together slowly. Got the new mount today. Still looking for a 47 Blower for it. Going to put wheel weights and some new tires on it also. Heres a couple of pics. I'm sure after one year of dealing with sidewalks I will be ready to sub them out again so if your looking for a machine like this keep your eyes open...it might be for sale this time next year. lol
    ResizedImage_1379467522287.jpg
    ResizedImage_1379467555097.jpg
    ResizedImage_1379467592046.jpg

New Mount and Gear Box
    ResizedImage_1379468368550.jpg

ResizedImage_1379467555097.jpg

ResizedImage_1379467592046.jpg

ResizedImage_1379467522287.jpg

ResizedImage_1379468368550.jpg

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Nice

Salter on the back with a skirt around it would do wonders
    Much cheaper then a drop salter.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How much snow can you cut with it?

4. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

well you know when its really heavy snow you just hit it with that once and it chops it up nice and thins it out. Ha Ha :laughing:

5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Do you got doors for it? If not can you get doors for it?

6. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Oh yeah its got the good hard doors for it. I just took them off for doing some mowing around the farm in the summer time. Its got a heater also. Hopefully that will take the edge off the cold at least.

7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Nice! Looks good Nick!

8. BC Handyman

Heater is a great option to have, are those units front or rear wheel drive? So you plan on leaving it on site for winter, or trailering it around?

9. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Its front wheel drive. It will have to be trailered due to the miles between jobs. The next size up f1145 is 4wd which would have been nice but found a really good deal on this one.

10. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

We use a F935 on walks with a brush and a blower. Works pretty well. Only difference is ours has the soft cab. It can get stuck pretty easy but if the operator knows what they're doing it does just fine.

11. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Yeah that's the one thing that worries me is it getting stuck. That's why I'm thinking of adding wheel weights and some better snow traction tires....or just mount a winch on it. Lol

12. BC Handyman

I like the winch idea, seriously you could get a small electric winch if you find it getting stuck, or keep an extra long chain in truck ;)

13. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Getting closer. Got her mounted up tonight. Don't have the PTO shaft I need yet so I haven't got to test it.
    ResizedImage_1379553002328.jpg

ResizedImage_1379553002328.jpg

14. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have seen guys put ATV tires on their 420-30's and fill them and put weights on. No chains and they do greats.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You might want to look for a spare front and rear tire. We love our front mounts but they seem more prone to get flats in the winter. We run our Kubota in 2wd most of the time but need 4wd to hop curbs. Good luck.

16. GLLLC

GLLLC Member
    from CT

We went one step further and had our JD 1445's tires foam filled after having our Mechanic run around during storms changing tires.

17. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

So here's a question I have now. If I have the quick attach system for the 246 broom and the 47 blower...will a brand new 47 quick attach blower attach to it or have they changed over the years? I don't have the quick attach...I was just wondering.

18. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a perfect machine for sidewalks, congrats - hope it runs good for you!

19. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I have both models 935 and 1145 in the process of adding a blade and blower to the 1145 as well as trying to find a cab or somehow make one. Have the soft cab on the 935 with a heater and it does a good job at keeping you warm. You will have to crack a window on yours being its a hard cab or you will roast to death.

Didn't know there was a quick attach for these units. They have modified the newer F series machines but haven't had a chance to look up close. The small local dealer isn't much help in my area, have to go to the bigger ones. I know it has the 4 pins underneath and then you have to monkey around with the drive shaft. Never had my machine stuck. Well once when the driver high sided it off of a raised timber wall 3' drop on the other side. The 1145 I used to drive at a court house would struggle in deep drifts. I would swap out blade for blower then.

I've found some good JD online parts stores but some stuff it still stupid expensive. $450 for a single side cab post and $360 for the other side. I'm sure that mount wasn't cheap I looked those up too to try and convert a X series moldboard to a F series mount.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  20. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have the gas version of your machine (F932) and I have a quick hitch for mine. It seems like I can hook up to many different attachments but the tricky part is finding PTO shafts that are the correct length. The one for a mower deck is different than the one for a sweeper and the one for a blower is different than the one for a mower deck. In other words, they're hardly "universal".

BTW - I had an extra 246 broom that I would've sold to you. I pick them up whenever I see them because I know how hard it is to find them. I even sold one to Advantage who posted earlier in this thread.