1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New sidewalk rig....your opinions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Schuley, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

Well I think its time for me to get a new sidewalk rig. We are currently using a JD 345 with a blower on the front for anything over 4-6". Its 2wd, and has had a rough life, no cab either. We do probably 2 miles of sidewalks. We sub out to our town to do a lot of sidewalks for them also, and they want us to add another mile or 2.
    I've been looking at different machines. JD, Kubota.... Im thinking of sticking with JD, dealer is 1 mile from the shop, Kubota is about 8 miles, but what machine woudl you guys recomend? Im thinking about a kubota 4wd tractor, Not sure of the model,but its the smallest 4wd they make, so it will fit on a sidewalk. Stick a cab and blower on it, and possably a broom? Im seriously considering a broom, any thoughts on the little front mount brooms? I've also seen some of the front mount JD mowers with blowers attached, cabs and 4wd. Anyone have one? They look nice, looking for some input from someone who's used some of these pieces of equipment. Thanks!
  2. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I have a 2305 with a 54" blade. Just swapped it out for a 2520 with the same blade for sidewalks and driveways in the HOA's we do.
  3. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Currently have a 15 year old JD F725 2WD out-front mower with 47" thrower. Re-engined it this fall to a 26hp liquid Kawasaki. In September bought a new Kubota GF1800 4WD out-front mower with a 18 hp Kubota diesel with a 42" blower. We figure the Kubota will throw about 30% more per minute than the Deere. We are working on a push wire for the deflector as Kubota has no from-seat controlled system. If you plan to run the unit around by truck make sure the cab will take highway speed winds. The Deere's soft cab won't take truck speeds
  4. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

The guys that plow the walks for the City here are using 3000 series Deeres with a 54" V blade. Enclosed hard cab of course. But I think they are doing more then a few miles per tractor.
  5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

If you don't mind me asking, what's your budget?
  6. I know a city near me that uses I think a JD 1400 or 1500 Series outfront blower on it to do sidewalks, with a hard cab. Pretty nice setup, also saw another guy using the same series as his sidewalk machine with a blower on it. One day I'd like to move up to that, just not in the budget this year. Looking to replace a dump truck in the near future so saving up for that.
    I just use a JD 425 with a 46" snowblower on it, works fairly well, wish it had a cab on it and it was a 2 stage but thats what the budget could handle at the time.
  7. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

How about something like this. I don't know what else you use your sidewalk rig for in the non-winter months, but this would be something that you could put a broom or blower on in winter, as well as a loader for some light landscaping.

kubota blower.jpg
  8. That would work too for sidewalks. I figure a front mount or a small tractor you could easily use year round, by putting a mower deck on it or use it for loader work or pulling attachments around with as well. Plus small tractors and front mounts are small enough that they dont do too much damage to grass and are able to get into small places yet.
  9. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

I just picked up this a few weeks ago for my primary snow blowing machine, backup machine will be my John Deere GX335 (similar to your 345). Let me know if you would like more info.

Take care, Mike

10. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Not sure of your budget, but take a look at a

Ventrac machine
  11. hey I don't have that big of an account yet but i am working on it .Anyway the guy 2 doors down from me has a lawn/plow out fitt and he has a jcb articulated with a blower hooked up to it, not sure what model it is exactly can find out tommorow if intrested

97 F250hd western poly,05 F350 powerstroke 8.0 western pro,14ft tral king 2 case skid steers
    2 26 toro's/
  12. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

Obviously as cheap as possable...but I was planning on $15K, but hoping I can get it done less....
  13. sjones

sjones Junior Member
    from ct.

Orange sucks buy green!!!!!!!!
  14. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

Yes, these do look like nice machines. On their web site are videos of all of their attachments (including the snowblower).
  15. onemancrew

onemancrew Member
    from NW,IA

JD Blower

I have a JD F1145 4x4 with a hard cab and a 47 in blower it works great. I also use it to do my driveways that I clean. I only have 24 driveways and side walks. Some sidewalks are 150 ft x 150 ft and other are smaller. You have to have heat it's a plus.