1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Sidewalk Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Crumm, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I bought a new sidewalk plow today and don't like it at all. I bought one of those Ames yellow poly snow pushers and it does not work very well. It seems like it catches on every nook, cranny or ice ridge. Maybe once it snows again I will give it one more chance since today I was just trying it out on some old leftover stuff. Guess I might just have to go back to the old shovel method. I saw the pusher and thought it would be good for walkways and decks. Anyone have any luck with one? It seems to me like a good gut buster but maybe I was expecting too much.
  2. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I think everyone has saw one before but here is a picture of what I bought.

3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Boy, it looks like with the handle laying down on the ground that the shovel itself is in about the right position. Even then, it could be tipped up just a bit. We use the Melnor pushers. About the best shovel you can get on the market. The ones we have are around 30 inchers, I believe. www.melnor.com
    They are available through Ace Hardware stores.
  4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I have several different pusher shovels and scoop shovels. The Ames pusher is angled to the side and very contoured so that it does not scoop any snow it just throws it to the side like a snow plow with a deflector. It seems to do a fine job of it until it catches on something and rams the handle through your chest.
  5. new2it

new2it Member

How fast do you have to run with that thing to get a good rooster tail? How's it for stacking? Do you need some extra ballast in your pants to keep your feet on the ground when you hit one of those cracks in the sidewalk? I suppose some good crampons would come in handy but would be tough on the linoleum floors when you went back inside.
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

add a handle

If you add a short handle off the side ( like you see on hammer drills) then you would'nt be ramming it into your gut