1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New shoes / existing cutting edge HELP!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Robert Payer, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Robert Payer

Robert Payer Junior Member

Please note: This is not a debate of shoes or no shoes. I am looking for help in solving my situation.

I recently wore down one plow shoe on the drivers side of my Meyer blade. The pasangers side shoe has good life remaining.
    My cutting edge has also worn down with the one worn out shoe.

I went to install a new shoe on the drivers side and the cutting is worn so, that the brand new shoe and cutting edge do not match up. I know about the spacers and how to use them. The problem is that I have a new factory shoe and that my cutting edge is worn down that they no longer match up as they should. My cutting edge is worn on the one side but has a lot of life yet. What do I do?

I did a lot of searching here with no luck. Some one must have the same problem, and a good solution?

Please do not make this a shoe debate.

2. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I haven't tied it...however, depending on how bad the drivers side is worn can you grind the passenger side down to be level with the worn drivers side...kinda like balancing lawn mower blades:confused:

3. Robert Payer

DJL,

Thank You for your reply, I think that you are refering to gringing the shoe down? Hopefully not the cutting edge. That would be a real task.

I think you were refering to grinding the new shoe. We have only plowed on this brand new plow probably 5 storms. At that rate of wearing out shoes, I do not think that I want to grind anything off of the newest shoe. I need all the life I can get out of it. There must be an answer? We will await a real plow Guru.

4. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Is the cutting edge reversable? Can you take it off and turn it around so that the drivers side is on the passengers side and vice versa?

5. DJL

DJL Senior Member

No, have to admit, I was referring to the blade. I know it would be a task, but I don't know of any other way besides buying a new one. Like I said, never tried it, sorry :p

6. Robert Payer

Sbrennon,

You might be on to something with that.

7. sodking

sodking Member

Several things to try:

-Adjust the spacers on the drivers side

-Try flippping the cutting edge

-Buy a new cutting edge and shoe

I keep the cutting edge offf the ground by about 1/8th inch and prefer to adjust and replace the shoes when needed.

8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Try plowing everything to the left :rolleyes:

9. Rappa

Rappa Member

Flip the cutting edge around or buy a new one.

10. Robert,
    Your the second person in the last few days that had that happen to them, just replace the cutting edge, there not that expensive all things considered.

Steve :waving:

11. Robert Payer

Hey Great Lakes!,

Whats up? Have not talked to you in a while. Think I saw you at Gails garden center last. Thanks for your repy. Cutting edges are about $125.00 installed. Thats a lot of money being that the set up is new and has only been used for maybe 5 storms.

So far the best solutions have been: Reverse the cutting edge or plow with the blade tillted in the opposite direction to even out the wear.

Next question:

Do most of you find that you plow with your blade angled all the way. When plowing in forward motion? Resulting in uneaven edge wear.

Happy Holidays guys.

Go Browns!

12. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Around here the cheap cutting edge's are 60 bucks at Angalo's ?
    Even the Western 1/2 thick edges are only 80 bucks with the
    bolt kit, try calling around

You can try fliping the edge over most are set up this way

Or driving on the street late at night lower the plow to grind it out ?

Mine wears on the last foot or so if I'm wind rowing allot
    but it's on both sides, I plow to the right as much as I plow to the left