1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Shocks

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chcav1218, Sep 15, 2008.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I'm installing new shocks and timbrens on my 2000 Silverado 2500. Im thinking about going with Bilsteins or Edelbrocks all around. what do you guys think? Any recomendations?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

monroe reflex !!!!!!!!!!:drinkup:

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Im looking into getting the Rancho RS 5000 shocks for my 99 K2500 my friends have had good luck with them and they are half the price of the edelbrocks.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 5000's are generally valved stiffer than the Eledl's or Bil's on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck application and will noticeably stiffen the ride up a bit, but they're a good shock for the money if you don't mind the stiffer valving.

6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Do the RSX17000 shocks ride a little bit smoother than the 5000's? I really dont want the truck to ride any harsher than it does now with the factory shocks with 150K on them lol.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely. There more similar to the Bil's or Edel's than the old stand by 5000's since they're at least velocity sensitive.

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I think I'm going with Bilsteins from Truckspring.com, and a set of Timbrens up front. I have 150,000 on my 2000 Chevy 2500, the shocks on there are ORIGINAL! I nearly passed out when I hte guy i bought the truck from told me he never changed them. I'm also going to put on some Timbrens, and maybe new bushings on the tie rods.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Bushings on the tierods? :confused:

10. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

yeh u know the the rubber bushings between the tie rod and the sway bar? the ones on my truck seem like they're faliing apart and crackinp up, but the rods are still in good shape.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So you meant the bushings on the sway bar links? Gotcha..

12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Or is he talking about the sway bar bushings?:confused:

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ahhh, I got about 165k on the stockers on my 98 1500. It rides like Sh1t. 3/4 or 1 ton suspension and bad shocks.

14. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Yeh I mean the sway bar links. The bushings on the sway bar itself are fine. That'd be a bit of a problem if they were falling apart

15. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

anyone ever run kyb monomax shocks? there supposed to be a stiff shock for plowing and towing im looking at getting them in the spring for my truck... ive had amazing luck with kyb shocks on my ski doo snowmobiles (i know two completely different applications)...

16. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

check www.rockauto.com , they carry moog parts which i have found to be some of the best and great prices.

in response to the topic i just by the cheapo monroes and replace them under warranty every year or so.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  17. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

thanks, ill look into that. I think I would really rather just paying for good shocks than having to replace them every year. jmo

18. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I installed a set of the Rancho 9000XL's in the front of my Dodge last year....Love them! Ultra beefy, adjustable, lifetime warranty.

19. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Go with the Bilstein's you be very happy with them.