1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Shocks Need!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by golfmanres, Jan 9, 2008.

1. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

What kind of shocks does everyone use? I'm looking at buying new ones for the 1998 K2500 8600gvwr 5.7 v8 Ext cab short bed. I have looked at Bilstein, and monroe. What is the best?

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I was hoping to read some good replies from this thread as I am looking to replace all 4 in my Dodge and wanted to see what the opinions were.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have a set of Bilstein 's on my one truck and they seem pretty good.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

shocks

i like monroe reflex ,they tend to work on the taller bigger truck's a lot better .

5. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

I have bilsteins and I have also always had good luck with the Rancho HD

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm running a set of Edelbrocks on my '04 HD...made a real difference in the handling and rides nice in the front but still a bit choppy in the rear... workin on a fix for that though.

Bilstein's are good too.

7. Hank

Hank Junior Member
    from MA

I run Bilstein as well on my 97 Chevy K1500 good riding shock. No complaints.

8. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

Bilstein end of story

9. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

my theory on shocks is, you buy a decent pair, for a respectable amount of money..(monroes for example) b/c when your in the line of beating your truck up day in day out. Your better off buying something that your willing to spend money on knowing your just going to have to replace it sooner then a normal used truck. So, if Monroe's are say 100 bucks to replace the two..and edles are say 250..might as well replace the monroe's twice instead of dragging a better shock out over a longer abused period of time. Im replacing my tahoe's shocks tomorrow morning with a cheap set...let you know how they hold up..right now the stock ones ive got are 140K miles old....HAHA

10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I like the Monroe Magniums.. Had them on about a month of course my other ones were junk

11. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

My stock Z71 shocks(75,000mi) were no longer handling the washboard areas of a dirt road I run on, so I bought 4 Rancho RS5000. When I hit the washboard they were WORSE than the old worn red Z71's. If you're thinking of these, I recommend you pass on them!:salute:

12. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

x2. I just put mine on today. So far so good.