1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New sending unit or just the pump?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bossman 92, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I posted earlier about a 97 2500 not starting. Well after trying B & B's easy fix's I think it is the fuel pump.

My question is do I need the whole sending unit or just the pump? It's about a $200 difference.

Thanks Bossman

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Drew, if its the pump just the fule pump.

But from what you tell me about the rust and stuff, you might find out when you get in to the project, your going to need a New Cending unit, If the steel lines are rusted and maybe a new tank.

Hope its just a EZ pump for you

3. Bossman 92

For whatever reason the underside of the truck is in great shape, with almost no rust. I even think I may be able to reuse the tank straps, as they look fine. How do I know if I need the entire sending unit?

Bossman

4. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Dose your Fule Gauge work ok?

Dose The Steel Lines Leak?

Did It come off ok?

If you Answer: Yes,No,Yes then you will not need it.

Also when you go to get the new pump, there is a tag on the wireing on the cending unit, your going to need the number off of that most likey.

5. Bossman 92

The gauge works fine, it does not leake anywhere, and I have not taken it off yet.

Bossman

6. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Well thats good, sounds like you should be able to get away with just a pump.

Soemtimes its better to take the bed off then drop the tank

7. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

if it was me i would do both the sending unit and pump. you got 100k miles on the pump, so whats to say the sending unit is going to last another 100k. i would replace both. your going to be in there so you mind as well do both. you dont want to do the same job 15k miles from now. fix it right the first time instead of wasting time and money to do it again.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

fyi some newer pump only kits are coming with cheep plastic squeze clams to hold the pump to the output hose on the sender unit.

do not use them thay dont hold worth a crap. get some small wirm clamps and do it right as you dont want to drop the tank 2 times from loss of pressure/flow from leak by as the clamps fell off.

if you have a steel sender unit go pump if rest is good.

if you have plastic sender unit do the whole thing.

9. Bossman 92

Thank you both

Bossman

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

What ever you do get a GM A/C delco Pump unit. Do not, I repeat do not get an autozone or any other aftermarket pump, otherwise you will be doing a pump again.
    T.J.

11. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  12. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i work at a dealer and now i wouldnt use anything other then factory parts. i used to work at an independent shop and we used to redue fuel pumps left and right. the aftermarket ones dpnt seem to hold up like factory ones. i use aftermaket one things that dont require alot of effort if they fail. i would also recommend new fuel lines if the fititng are rusty. dont want to have fuel leaks down the road.

13. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Can u tell me who makes that mexican ac delco pump?

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Trick question :D.