1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Raydon, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Raydon

Raydon Member

What would most of you do in a situation like this. First snowfall of the season and all of your past customers have not signed up with you yet for the season. Do you plow them anyway out of loyalty until you are able to meet with them and finalize or use this snowfall as a prompt for them to get the contract and cheque book out. I would like to plow them all assuming they are coming back as mine, but I could also be plowing a few for nothing and crossing paths with another contractor. I have a few customers I have not been able to get finalized in the past and was wondering how other members here would treat them.

Thanks

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I sent letters to all my customers from last year asking them to contact me by the end of August. Now I'll advertise to fill up the route.

I guess it depends on your situation and what you know about your customers. For instance, my customer who had been with me the longest finally sold her house and is moving. But I wouldn't have known that except I just happened to see her garage sale ad in the paper. Another good customer has decided to go South for the winter. I found out about that from someone who lives on the same road and had been referred by that customer. So I would have wound up plowing the new owner in the first case and for free in the second.

So I guess it depends on how much of a chance are you willing to take? Some people just don't want to "face" you when they replace you. You could wind up plowing the driveway and they pay the "other guy". He'd be under no obligation to give you the money (edit: assuming Canadian laws are similar to US laws in this area).

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i sent my letters out the people that want to continue great anyone else that want to wait till first big snowfall they have to wait because other people have takin there spots