1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New seal kit for lift cylinder coming, need advice.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CTAndy, Jan 3, 2005.

1. CTAndy

CTAndy Junior Member
    from Ct

Hello all :waving:
    I have a few questions involving the minor procedure of re-sealing my lift cylinder.
    I have a Fisher Speedcast plow, not belt operated (9').
    I have no manual and can't find one anywhere (this include the Fisher site and Ebay).
    If this info is posted anywhere (like a how-to guide) please feel free to point me in that direction.

1) Is it better (or a must) to remove the cylinder from A-Frame before re-sealing?
    2) If I do remove it, I will disconnect the oil line from the base of the cylinder. Will I need to do anything to prevent the oil from spilling out the disconnected line? Or is there a check valve or something holding it in.
    3) Is there something I need to do to prevent air from getting in the system?

2. CTAndy

CTAndy Junior Member
    from Ct

Beuller....Beuller....Beuller

:rolleyes:

J/K

(It's from 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', if anyone was curious and didn't know)

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The toughest part is getting the packing nut off without cracking it,spray it good a few days in advance with WD-40 or whatever you have,you'll need a pipe wrench,some come easy and some come with a fight,if it comes to a fight,heat the cylinder around the nut with a torch,it will then back right out but you may melt the packings and have a mess to clean up.Get the nut loose while on the plow,then remove it and do the rest on a workbench.

you will spill some fluid when you unhook the hose,let it go and put fresh fluid in.
    Reassemble,fill with fluid and leave the fill plug cracked,run it up and down a few times(all the way down,even if you have to push it)check your fluid and then cycle it left to right(all the way left and right)you'll have to repeat the cycles untill you bleed the air from the unit,sometimes it takes a while,be patient,if there is foam in the pump,let it sit,it's basicly air bubbles which your tryin to get rid of,let them settle and try again.

4. CTAndy

CTAndy Junior Member
    from Ct

Thank You

Thank you very much for your response!

Job is now done, and went well.

Very good tips,
    Thanx again

5. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Also, If you need the manual just go to there website it has everything you need there withouth buying one for free. Has part #'s, some procedures for fixing, and you can see the breakdown of the pump. Just get your pump # and look it up, it will be very helpful.

Rob