1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New SD Mileage

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chcav1218, Aug 5, 2008.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

What have you guys been getting for MPG on the new SD Diesel's? I'm considering one as my next truck and curious what the adnvatage over gas is.

2. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

the 08's with the 6.4 arent getting that great of mileage.. all the 08 diesels (cummins, d-max, an powerstroke) are struggling with mileage due to the emmisions equipment required... the advantage over gas is you have more power, but with the mileage i heard there getting plus the extra cash for the motor the v10 is looking better an better.

3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Very true what LawnPro said. Still, even with sll the new equipment on them, the chevy and dodge trucks still maintain beter fuel economy over the fords.

4. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

My 02 F250 super duty with 5.4 liter,3.73 axles is getting around 9.5 mpg

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

idamn, is that a diesel?!

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

5.4 is the gas motor.

I get 15-16, got 21 on a highway trip with my 99 F350 diesel pickup

The 550 gets less because of the weight it is lugging around only 12-14.

Both are with the 7.3

I too have heard that the 6.4 and all newer diesels are getting poor mileage. Kind of sad because diesel needs to be the future of medium and large vehicles for mileage. Imagine railroad locomotive like diesel engines driving generators to electric wheel motors.

Anyway, the solution is to defeat, bypass whatever the emissions stuff. Most kits void the warranties, but still seem to be backordered from what I have heard. Guys on diesel forums are claiming 4-5 mpg gains from doing so. Time will tell if it becomes common and what the reaction from the government is.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Bet it wouldn't if you fueled it up with diesel, as the OP asked. :dizzy:

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

5.4's aren't 6.4's and 7.3' aren't 6.4's.............

But to answer your question, my 6.4 gets 14 to 14.5 all around driving. I did drive to Youngstown area at a casual pace, 68 mph on cruise and it got 16.5. I get 10.5 towing a 4000# dump trailer. It's a crew cab short bed 350.

By comparison, my 05 6.0 got 16.5 all around driving. I don't remember ever driving a long distance at a casual pace. This was a extended cab long bed 350.

All those numbers are from the dash computer - so believe it if you want.

I heard the oppisite about the Chevy and Dodge motors but not from the people that actually owned them - so it's basically hearsay.

The emisson crap is here to stay, if you want a new truck, you will suffer fuel milage.

9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I've been reading the GM's are getting the best mileage, followed by Dodge then Ford. A buddy of mine ripped all the emissions stuff off his Duramax and gets 3-4 mpg better than he had before. Still only around 16 on the highway though!:rolleyes:

10. stephf250

stephf250 Junior Member

I have a 06 f250 diesel..getting 11.5 per gal

11. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

The Ford trucks seem to be getting the worst mileage of the big 3. From reading on other forums, those doing the DPF and EGR deletes are getting awesome mileage. One Ford owner reported 15+ around town and 20+ on the highway, all hand calculated with the DPF and EGR delete as well as an SCT programmer. Some Dodge owners also reporting large MPG gains with these mods. I have read those with stock trucks getting 12-13mpg city and 15-16 highway out of there 6.4L Fords.