1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new school bid?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bizmarkdroops, Oct 30, 2007.

1. bizmarkdroops

bizmarkdroops Junior Member

I received a call from a college that has built a new building in the middle of a field. Subject to winds and drifting. How should i bid this job. Either monthly or by the hour? It's a large building with many separate parking areas and not much of a area to push snow. Most likely will need to haul snow away at some point.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

if you know its going to be prone to drifting then install some snow fence. It really does work and is quite cheap compared to the labor to keep after a drifting road or parking lot. If its in the middle of a field why would you need to haul anything away? sounds like there should be plenty of room for stacking

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I would probably give them an hourly rate for dealing with drifts, and a per app rate for salt over and above your regular pricing, are you going to price this as a seasonal or per inch??? I'd go around $125 hr for 1 truck to deal with drifts, as far as hauling snow out, I'd rather stack it with a machine somewhere in a corner or even better off the lot entirely up on the grass somewhere, again go with the hourly rate (we get $200 hr for stacking)for anything over and above a "normal event"......The hourly rate thing is attractive in this case because they can tell how long you were there and you will be garunteed to make money, if you tried to come up with a flat fee for drifting snow somebody would get burned, drifting is a funny thing sometimes you may have to plow the whole place again other times you may just need to spend an hour cleaning up one or two problem spots....If you feel like it might benefit you in the bidding you could even break the salt down to tons applied, but I'd only do this for drifts as said with the plowing part of drifts there will be times where you will only need to spot salt.....

4. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Good answer. Problem with snow fence is you're taking responsibility for stopping snow and it's probably best to quote by the hour. That way whatever happens, you get paid, "no matter how much drifting", you make payup . And that has to be the best setup for you, guaranteed money.

"All" our parking lot contracts are by the hour. A no lose for both parties because you're there right away, you're keen on making money and they get fast service.

A win-win.

:)