1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New saltdogg chutes

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowplower1, Jan 6, 2016.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I just bought the new saltdogg chute for my shpe 2000 salter. i was told it was a good bit different. Can anyone tell me how much different, if it is better and your experience from the old one to the new one.

My spinner motor decided to die on me yesterday. Luckily i was able to get it to work intermittently and finish my route until the last place where it would not kick on and had to hand shovel the last property... that sucked!

anyways, I decided to just buy a new chute because after a new motor, labor, new connector because one was bad, tax it would have been about 390 and i may have backed into my buddys truck once in a storm on my way out and cracked the spinner shield so i would have paid 390 for something still broken.

I can't wait for next year hoping to be able to buy a boss vbx and not these cheap things but it has done us well for 2 years for what we paid considering it is our first vbox ever and needed it quick.

2. plow4u

plow4u PlowSite.com Veteran

chute

could you post some pics of your new chute and I want to see how they are different. Thinking about buying one for my 1500 and 2000

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Times two. Haven't heard anything about a new chute yet.

4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I bet its the standard one offered now. 2.0 version.........Leaves a heavy ass trail in the middle that waste salt. No fix to it even with adjustments. Don't understand how these go full on production and can't even spread right. Love the whole concept of the Vbox itself. Simple and reliable. But the spinners and standard issued control boxes are much room to be desired. The guy I sub for has new extra vibrators, Karrier controllers and backup spinners on standby for any situations. But the $3500 2 yard spreaders have meet expectations for reliability the last few years other than the ****** spread pattern.

snowplower1, id recommend having a backup spinner when the time comes to replace the motor. snowplow life you need 3 of everything in case imo

5. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

My job 1 salt dogg spread like an undertailgate 70/30 drivers side, after a while you get used to it and for what they cost you can't really complain. Simple easy to work on parts are reasonable.

6. snowplower1

I like the new chute! It's a bit dark out and I'm waiting to get loaded so I can't now bUT later I will. Basically the big difference is the guard is better and adjustable. Definitely spreads much better.
    I got so usee to it being always drivers side It took some getting used to, not being able to see all my salt spreading. Gonna get some lights so I can see it better

7. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

The guard is more adjustable, problem is run enough salt through them it wears out the plastic and they are shot.... The old ones you were not going to put holes or wear through the stainless back deflector...

8. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

ya, plastic guard is shot already for 1 1/2 light seasons. It started right away brand new eating it alive . The whole bottom part is gone , so not effective at all. Well hopefully one day they will get the spinner assembly and spread pattern correct. Not holding my breath but u would think that they would want them to work better .

9. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

they suck. 2250 had been pretty good other than needing a controller, spinner motor and had an issue with the auger. Auger and controller were before it ever saw salt. Had 2 fairly trouble free years with it until it needed the spinner motor just out of warranty. As far as the 2000 goes, it's piece of ****. I wish I wasnt being cheap and just bought a fisher or boss. leaves a huge trail, not an even spread at all, you constantly need to run the vibrator to get any salt to flow. I wish saltdogg would do their own R and D instead of leaving it to the consumer

10. snowplower1

I'm happy with mine. I may work something up with that plastic guard. It spreads nice. I'm hoping next year we get a dump truck and a large spreader and then I can sell this before I start having real problems

11. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

Here's a pic of the new one just happened to snap a pic at the shop today....

_20160127_182358.jpg

12. snowplower1

I've been crazy busy using it the last two weeks but I'll try to get a video of the spread sometime soon for you all to see it

13. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

1st one 7 years, 2nd one 6 years, other than a couple auger bearings been flawless. about 250 to 300 tons per year thru each.

14. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Let's see a few pics of those zsprays with blades:nod: