1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New salt truck.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Grassman09, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I had to check it out. Interesting. I didn't see a skid steer or a pile on site.

2. Grassman09

Van is plated for the road too. Guess God will save them.

3. Polarismalibu

Polarismalibu PlowSite Fanatic

I wonder if they have it tied down or not even
  4. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I'm looking at that first picture and wondering what on earth you were talking about. And then I see the 2nd pic and what the heck is that? I want to see a video of it being loaded and then being used.
  5. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Thinking outside the box, I like it!
  6. Kuttingedge

Kuttingedge Junior Member

That is awesome! A bit tricky takin passengers.... But that is funny!
  7. Grassman09

Doubt its tied down and really what can you tie it down too? The floor is paper thin unless they have anchored a tie down onto a frame rail.

Wonder how they got it in there in the 1st place. They didn't completely cut the back end open so its not like it could be drooped in from up above.
  8. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Craigslist special
  9. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

I doubt they did it in any intelligent way. But if I was to do it i would have welded a frame under the spreader and an opposite one in the van to guide it in. Using a skid obviously.
  10. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I bet that church saved tons of money with the rocket scientist that was in charge of their snow program. Lol
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It could be bolted down with some big washers. I'm guessing the van was worth nothing so they won't be out much money.
  12. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

They have God on their side.
  13. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Judging by the paint its a 2014....

There is a company up here that has a 4 yard spreader on a 1 ton van body. The drivers cabin is factory enclosed. I would be worried that a good breeze behind that thing and the cabin would be full of exhaust...
  14. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

It looks like they've cut part of the roof off to be able load the spreader. If you notice there is a tarp or something over the back part.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

It looks to me the van body is the hopper and the spreader is bolted to plywood !

Maybe ushers or altar boys shovel it to the hopper?

They are on a mission from god after all
  16. turn54

turn54 Senior Member

perhaps they are onto something here. Despite all the obvious big no no's and unprofessional look. This guy is able to buy all the junk, wet, clumpy salt at a discounted price and never worry about a frozen hopper. Start van, let warm up, load junk salt, go back inside for a cup of coffee, come back out and spread the thawed out junk. Now it's got me thinking

Anybody ever try running a t off your heater hose and integrating some sort of heat transfer system/hoses or piping around the bottom of a v-box? Maybe just a pickup with a tall topper equipped with a retractable roof? I can think of a bunch of different little things that could go wrong but most could be compensated for.

Could be good for the contractor that only goes thru one or two loads per event/has to keep salt in the hopper for extended times because of plowing/travel time.

I personally prefer dry salt and my central hydraulic under tailgate unit, but maybe this concept would work for a range of guys.
  17. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

Good eye lol
  19. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

That is Ghetto Fabulous !!!
  20. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Heated hopper..