1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Salt-Traxx digital job tracker

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by SnowEx Products, Jun 30, 2010.

1. SnowEx Products

SnowEx Products Sponsor

SnowEx introduced the V-Maxx Salt-Traxx digital job tracker at the SIMA Symposium 2010, June 24-25, in Providence, R.I. This is a new tool designed to help contractors document and evaluate their salt spreading applications. It simply plugs into the existing controller on select SnowEx V-Maxx spreaders and records important data, such as the amount of salt used and time spent on each job.

To use the Salt-Traxx, you first select a pre-set job number for a specific client or property. After the job is started, the unit measures the total amount of salt being spread according to the V-Maxx controller settings and time elapsed. The data is displayed on a digital read-out and also saved to a standard removable USB memory stick. When finished, you can plug the memory stick into a personal computer and upload the information in a format compatible with Microsoft Excel. The spreadsheet shows the date, number of starts and stops, time elapsed, and cubic feet of salt used under each job number.

This eliminates the need to write down information by hand on the jobsite. It also gives contractors a new ability to evaluate their operations and maximize efficiency. The data helps for billing clients and deciding how much salt to purchase from season to season. Furthermore, it provides documentation for reducing liability in the event of a slip-and-fall claim.

The Salt-Traxx is compatible with both new and existing models of these V-Maxx spreaders: SP-8500, SP-9300, SP-9500, SP-2200 and SP-2400.

We want your feedback. Tell us what you think.

Salt-Traxx.jpg

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Great idea.

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

It's a great idea, and I could see it as something to think about when we are do for replacement of salt spreading equipment. Are there plans tie it into pre-wetting systems too?

4. SnowEx Products

SnowEx Products Sponsor

Unfortunately, we don’t have a near-term solution for integrating the Salt-Traxx digital job tracker with our pre-wetting systems, but we do have it on our minds because we’re seeing more people like you starting to pre-wet their material.

5. SnowEx Products

SnowEx Products Sponsor

Because of requests like yours, we've developed a solution for this. Now, you can plug a PWS sprayer into the Salt-Traxx and then connect the Salt-Traxx to the V-Maxx controller. Although the Salt-Traxx can’t currently record the amount of liquid sprayed, the PWS will integrate with the V-Maxx and spray according to the material feed rate.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Great idea but no one asked the magic question....PRICE.

7. SnowEx Products

SnowEx Products Sponsor

List price for the Salt-Traxx is $795, but be sure to check with your dealer for current specials.

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Can you explain exactly how this unit operates and calibrates? If it works with the 2400. How does it know the difference between the duo bed being fully loaded and in the up position or. Bed near empty

9. SnowEx Products

SnowEx Products Sponsor

SnowEx’s auger feed system provides a precise, consistent amount of material to the spinner. And we’ve done a lot of research and testing to measure our spreaders’ material feed rates according to the auger speed settings.

The Salt-Traxx works by plugging into the spreader’s controller and monitoring the auger speed setting. By calculating the auger’s rotational speed and time elapsed, the Salt-Traxx can determine how much material was spread from when the operator pressed start to when he pressed stop. This does require some special calibration because various materials will spread at different rates. However, the Salt-Traxx comes with easy-to-follow instructions for calibrating any type of material and saving them as pre-sets for quick recall.

Of course, the V-Maxx 2200 and 2400 models rely on the operator keeping the dump bed raised enough to keep the auger properly fed. But as long as the operator ensures a sufficient flow of salt to the spreader, the auger will deliver a measurable amount of material to the spinner.

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Will it work on an 8000 model?

11. SnowEx Products

SnowEx Products Sponsor

Sorry, the Salt-Traxx will not work with your SP-8000. There isn’t a data port on your controller for the unit to plug into.

12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

i say waste of money, just plug it in to controller great another thing on our controller to help burn out control box any one who uses snow ex know their boxes last about 2 years then are toast.. Also any one who has been salting enough knows how much salt they use and the 9500 holds 3 yards so you should be able to look and see 1/2 or 1/3 etc.. I like my 5 snow ex but i know they are expensive parts and adding one more to me is a waste

13. SnowEx Products

SnowEx Products Sponsor

The Salt-Traxx might not be for everyone, but we do have a lot of contractors who are very excited to try it this winter. Sure, a person can estimate the time spent and amount of material spread on each job. But the Salt-Traxx eliminates guesswork and saves time because now you don’t have to leave the pickup cab or write anything down on paper. It also helps prove to clients that you serviced their lots, and the documentation can be used to help reduce your liability. And in regards to your controller concern, the Salt-Traxx will not cause any damage by plugging into it.

Thanks for being a SnowEx customer!

14. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

why not it is drawing from the same wires and fuses then why did it go from a 1 or 2 year warrenty down to a 3 month warrenty because you know there are problems with the controlers

15. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

I would be interested to see the technology adapted for use in a drag chain spreader.

16. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

May be an issue

Due to the inconsistency in the amount of material that is pulled to the back of the spreader with a drag chain system, it will be difficult I would think. Being a SnowEx user myself, I like the idea of the auger feed system. That's why the salt-traxx works for their product. They know that the auger pulls a given amount of material per revolution to the spinner.

17. SnowEx Products

SnowEx Products Sponsor

When you purchase a new spreader with a Salt-Traxx, the controller and Salt-Traxx device are backed by a 2-year limited warranty. If you have to buy any parts, including a replacement controller or Salt-Traxx, they are now covered by a 12-month warranty. Previously, SnowEx parts were only covered by a 90-day policy, but we increased the length of coverage this year to raise our level of customer service.

18. elite1msmith

from chicago

well i aggree with you that i would not want to overly complicate things but, i also am not always the guy in the salt truck- rarely does the papper work ever get done correctly quickly by other drivers, and if you know exact qty of material used on a seasonal site you have that much more info for next years bidding.

to be honest all they need to do is tie in a date/time stamp with a GPS location, and tie in the use of a snow plow.. and everything would be logged. I had this idea 7 years ago but figured it would be too expensive. SImply wire up a box, and every place you go is recorded, all plow movements, all spreader fuctions. heck if that then tied back in your billing software how easy would your job be

19. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Well that is good to know now last year my dealer told me 3 months and that was it so i threw out a controler $600 in the garbage
    I WOULD LOVE A SOULTION. GLAD TO SEE A COMPANY TAKE SOME RESPONBILITY GOOD JOB

20. elite1msmith

from chicago

Has anyone purchased one of these yet? Some feed back would be helpful