1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New salt dog spreader

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by 4700dan, Aug 26, 2010.

1. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Does anyone know about the new salt dog TGS07 it looks like a mini "V" box, I think the concept is good and I'm thinking of buying one any ideas, thanks.:confused:

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

where did you see this mythical beast? would also like more info on it

3. bosworth

bosworth Junior Member
    from MI

4. buckwheat_la

yeah, i already found the page, i am curious if they are saying it is ok to do straight sand or not

5. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

This spreader is approved for use with sand. We ran everything we could find through it.

I think it's the best of both worlds (V-box and tailgate spreader). The no-drill installation is a nice feature as well. It uses your bumper and reciever, and does NOT connect to your bedrails at all.

6. buckwheat_la

i am sold on it, going to give it a try this winter. by the way, are all the controller issues worked out?

7. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

We definitely did. We learned a lot very painfully, but the end result are controllers that are incredibly robust and reliable.

Even the controllers that we didn't have any trouble with were redesigned to incorporate some of the new protections that are built in.

8. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

You know what would be awesome.... A controller that didnt have to be bolted to the dash so you didnt have to reach for it all the time. A handheld one. Probably not wireless but something that could just lay on the seat or be placed on a hook for storage purposes.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway released a controller of the type you mentioned a couple years ago, even available in wireless.:nod:

Unfortunately they have not produced a spreader that works with it, they just have the controls.

10. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

This new unit is solid and is going to work very well for the contractor who needs both worlds of spreading both salt or straight sand if needed. The price is great too and you don't lose all your bed space with a v box, but still have a decent capacity for a tailgate spreader. Great bang for the buck!

11. firelwn82

The only thing that I dont like is it looks like you would have to take the unit off of the truck in order to load a pallet of salt into the bed of the truck. Can anyone confirm this suspicion?

12. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

I like the look and the idea of the amount it holds. Might take a trip to the local shop and see what kind of price you can get on one of these!

13. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

We got em...yes it looks to be a nice solid unit. Heres some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In stock and ready to ship

14. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

A couple of key features:

Those rubber hinges allow you to hinge either side of the lid (or just remove it entirely).
    It mounts to your bumper/receiver tube with no connection to so your bedrails.
    It has all the features of our SHPE spreaders (vibrator, horizontal auger), etc.
    It's got multiple patents pending, a lot of nice new features.

It does not swing down, however (to answer the earlier question). it can be removed fairly easily (easier than a TGS05 for example), but has no swing gate. That's something we're looking at, but have nothing at this point.

15. firelwn82

What about the controller question? A remote handheld..... xysport NOT WIRELESS THOUGH

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  16. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Here's the deal. There are two kinds of spreader control systems.

One has ONE box with all the current passing through it, the other has a small control box and a big "power module" back on the spreader.

We went with one box - and based on some of the trouble I've seen people having with power modules back on the spreader (think of salt spray, pressure washers, etc.), I think we made a reasonable choice.

However, because of that a small handheld isn't really viable.

If we ever did redesign the control scheme to a "two box" version, we would probably go to a handheld (at least as an option). However we are going to stick with what works for a little while.

It is something we've discussed and it might happen (but not this year).

17. firelwn82

O for sure that whole module in the back getting wet and salted would be a very bad idea I think. Especially being on the bumper. This is why you guys are the smart ones... ha ha

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check my Facebook page for pictures of a unit mounted on a truck, have to look back a little ways they were posted a month or two ago.

19. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

I got you on this one Basher.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

And one because it looks cool.