1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New salt Bin

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Krafty17, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Krafty17

Krafty17 Member

We moved into our new shop back in March, and started getting our salt bin together late this summer. A few of you may have seen some of the pics over on lawnsite. It is a 40x60 with a 6" fiber mesh floor. Hopefully they will finish getting it filled up today and be ready to go. What is everyone's thoughts on roof? We are kicking around the idea of a clear span. I am just shocked at how much they cost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Krafty17

Krafty17 Member

3. Krafty17

Krafty17 Member

4. Krafty17

Krafty17 Member

5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

getting it from Rob..or is he just hauling it?

6. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Just got done putting a clear span up. It was missing hardware from the factory and wasn't that easy to put up if you've never done one. Time will tell but I'm not sure I would do it all over again.

7. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Looks good , Who did u buy the blocks from ? How much each ? Weight? Hows the quality of salt? Coarse?

8. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

definitely get the clearspan. We just did ours about 1.5 months ago. You'll need to rent a boom lift and an employee or 2 for 3-4 days. Before you do, add a row of blocks all around and a 5th row on the back. Once you get your own wheel loader, you'll be able to stack so much more salt inside. We have 5 rows on the back and it's piled up that high and beyond. Between rental, employee's wages, and the kit, budget 20K and you're good. That's not really that bad over 15 or more years.

2014-11-03 14.42.56.jpg

9. Krafty17

Krafty17 Member

No he must just contract out his truck. We usually use althoff for all of our big hauling. I have priced Rob in previous years but he always seems to be pretty steep. Did you end up getting everything you need for the year?

That scares me a little, I see lots of reviews that say the same thing.

10. Krafty17

Krafty17 Member

Arnold ready mix, about 4250 lbs a piece, salt seems to be very very good quality this year.

Man I was hoping to be under 20k for sure. What size did you go with? Also how big are your blocks? Mine are stacked 7.5' high already, I am not sure I want to go any higher at this point. I was able to stack salt in there about 3-4 feet higher then the blocks today, which I am pretty happy with so far.

11. Krafty17

Krafty17 Member

It was a nasty day with light rain, I am sick of dragging tarps. We were able to jam most of the rest of it in today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Krafty17

Krafty17 Member

13. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

ours was 42x48. With the back wall, shipped it was about 13k. Our blocks are 2x2x4 and 2x2x6. If you're at 7.5 already, you might be alright. I do know you can never have enough space. Once the clearspan is on, it will be a mighty pain to add more height to the walls. I figured it would be years before we need another and I'm already trying to figure where to build our next one.

14. komplete

komplete Junior Member

Looks Great! How many tons have you put in it so far?? How many do you expect it to hold when full?? We are looking at building one of comparable size and was curious

15. Krafty17

Krafty17 Member

Right now I have about 350 and some change in there. If I really pushed it I think I could squeeze another 100 in there.