1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Salt Bin

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Longae29, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Here are a couple pics of our new salt bin.(50x50) I will post more when we get the asphalt floor in, and the clearspan over the top.

Picture 253.jpg

Picture 252.jpg

Picture 251.jpg

2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Looking good. What are those walls made of?

3. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Where did you purchase the concrete sections you have there? Interested set up. I hope they will take them impact of machines pushing against them, they don't seem that thick

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Thats what I was thinking too. Nice and clean but doesnt look more than 6" thick. Good luck with it.

5. Longae29

The sections are 10'' thick pieces of "spancrete"....we are in the process of welding angle beams for additional reinforcement.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Looks nice and clean, what did they run you? (if you dont mind me asking)

7. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Spancrete is cool stuff, Kerkstra Precast in Grandville MI makes it (atleast around here).

8. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

How much salt will that hold roughly

9. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Great idea! I don't think I've ever seen it used for this app before. I wouldn't worry one bit about 10" plank being strong enough for this either, that stuff is amazingly strong.

What are your plans for protecting the steel?

BTW, I don't know if you got some kind of deal on thst stuff or not, but there's company down near Beloit that makes the stuff alot cheaper.. Regardless, it looks great. :drinkup:

"Spancrete" is actually the major manufacturer here, as they've been at it since 1953.

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Looks really neat there! I would love to get a yard like that some day for my equipment!

11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That looks nice!! I like those walls.....a lot. Great idea.:salute:

12. Longae29

got the first two loads in the new bin.....makes it look even bigger now.

the last picture is our old bin....still jam packed from last year.

Picture 289.jpg

Picture 290.jpg

Picture 291.jpg

13. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Looks great....have a great winter

14. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Looks Great!!!!!!.........I bet those neighbors behind Love your Loader at 3am...Is the back-up alarm working...:laughing:...

15. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

Great looking setup. Have not seen anything like that. Looking forward to seeing the finished pics. Good luck this season!

16. Longae29

There is a real steep embankment up to the condos on top of the hill that must deflect the noise because we've never had a complaint....but no, the skidsteer that we leave here to load salt doesnt have a backup alarm.

17. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 Member
    from KY

Is that a Boxer loader? How do you like it? Tell us about it and more pics.

18. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

by the cab it looks like a gehl unit.

19. Longae29

pro touch is correct, its a gehl. We've been very happy with it. I've only used it for loading/stacking of snow, but it was easy and smooth for that. we bought it new a few seasons ago, and its been very reliable ever since.

20. JJSLandscape

JJSLandscape Member

longae, what made you go with that new setup. our current bins are setup like your former salt bin-mafia blaock with shelterlogic covers over them. what did it run you for cost if you dont mind me asking? i have a buddy that does steel so i could easily do the beams. looks like you went in the right direction and i'm wondering what the cost savings were?