1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New salt bin ready for service!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fortydegnorth, Jan 20, 2006.

1. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I got my new bin set up and now no snow. The bin works great for keeping everything dry. 18' high 22' wide and 24' deep, with 28 tons of salt right now and its not even 1/4 full. Now just snow!!

salt bin.jpg

2. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

how many yrds is 28 tons??...why do you need so - much>>>> how many sanders / trucks do you have....wat kind of equitment do you use to load the salt...nice set-up!!!!!!:yow!:

3. fortydegnorth

I don't know how many yards, but I would say close to one ton per yard. We run two v-boxes. We went through 19 tons in December and this is our second load. It doesn't seem like we will be using much of it either. We use a Bobcat S-185 with cab, heat, and air conditioning to load.

4. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Nice setup! How much did it end up costing you to set up? Mafia block and enclosure? :cool:

5. fortydegnorth

It was about $2900 without the paving. I paid $1700 for the paving that it sits on.

6. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

Good work. I like it.

David

7. sam c

sam c Member

Nice set up :nod: I have the same enclosure at ground level. I store my summer equipment in it during the winter, one of my best investments so far. Be careful with hot exhaust stacks on the poly fabric. All it takes is a touch to burn a hole in it:( Good Luck

8. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Yeah thats about right. Those damn mafia blocks are a couple of bucks. :cool:

9. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

how much did you pay for the blocks?

I paid $20 a piece, and i heard they might start running a discount because they have so many.

Good looking set-up. Much better than the old tarp method

10. fortydegnorth

I have $25 per block in it. Didn't think that was too bad.

11. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Salt Bin

Nice bin you have there. Ours is simular. We are happy with it also. Here is a pic of our salting operations.

Dave

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  12. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Great job looks great and out of the weather for reload ....

13. paponte

paponte Senior Member

$20-$25 for mafia blocks? Wow, thats dirt cheap!

14. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

very nice design! something like that is in my future. do you get blocks that are seasoned? due to the salts corosive behavior?

15. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

where did you get the cover and how much did it cost?

what are the dimensions of your blocks...

we are just about finished building our bins, we have 2 bins next to eachother each are approx 19x22x8....we are very excited about them and cant wait to begin using them

16. fortydegnorth

I can't remeber the name of the website that we purchased it from, but I will see if I can find the receipt for it and let you know. The price shipped was around $1500. It does have the roll-up door kit on the front and the rear is also a split door so it can be opened like a tunnel in the summer for storing mulch. I beleive shipping was around $250 from somewhere around the New England area. I would have rathered a round top but could't find one the right size and a different size would have required cutting a lot of blocks. Best purchase ever for salt storage. Probably didn't need six feet high on the blocks for salt but for mulch its great. We try to keep at least 80 yards of mulch all summer. The blocks are 2'x2'x4' and weigh about 2300#

17. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

i have two cover alls, one with the house shape and one of the round top ones. The house styles will hold more snow on the roof which needs to be cleaned off or it will fall in. IMO the round top is the only way to go.

roundcoverall.JPG

18. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

We used to have one of those "tents" set up on concrete blocksand one day one of my guys had a brain fart and drove the truck out at an angle and ripped it down. When I looked at the cost of replacing it with another "tent" I couldn't justify it. The thing was 5 years +/- old and was already wearing and tearing in multiple areas.

We ended up putting up a permenant building up for 50% more but with a life expectency of 8 times more.

Salt Shed.JPG

19. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

That's a good price; they go for about $34/ea here, but they are bigger. Now all we need is some weather!

20. korelandscaping

korelandscaping Member
    from CT

I get the blocks real cheap too. I have a contact at a cement comp. and he told me 15.00 per. The only problem is hauling them and stacking them...I only have a skid steer. I think next year I'll be doing a similar set up but a little smaller at my house. My local supplier is only open during normal business hours? It's a pain in the a-- to load up at there convience. Go figure, I still have a load in my sander from the other night when the rain was "supposed" to turn to snow!