1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New salesman

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kevotsx10, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Hey guys. I'm really new to the Snow & Ice industry. I want to progress in my knowledge of this equipment. I'm finding out that the best learning tool, as usual, is experience, but does anyone have any input or ideas as to what I can learn "by the book" so to say? I have an idea on simple functions of a plow, and some options available for different models an such; but I'd like to really accelerate my knowledge as best as possible. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

There are a couple thing you can do to speed up the learning curve. Read on here, join SIMA, as much as I hate to say it John Allins book has a lot of knowledge for those starting out as well.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

This is one business that you need the hands on .Read all you want but till you get behind a plow you wouldn't know.

If you join SIMA,use me as a referral and get 50 bucks off your membership.
    www.sima.org

4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

You will actually need to plow snow to understand how things work and understand how different plows work. Best of luck and welcome to plow site.

5. martincare29

martincare29 Member

you will learn it all from someone who has been doing it for years someone you can call and pick there brain. Guys can tell you till there bule in the face how they are the best ....but someone showed them the way at some point in time. The guys that make it big you will find out worked for other Cos at some point in time . If you are trying to go big find someone to help you out as for just plowing driveways theres not much to learn just do not be the low baller and always watch the weather be ready 24/7
    let me know if i can help good luck to you

PS ...dont buy junk have a good sound truck and plows get a BOSS !

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sales can be a rewarding career. But I can tell you right now that you are really going to struggle selling snow removal equipment if you don't know anything about the business. Call every snow removal contractor in your area and offer to plow for dirt cheap so you can get some experience with the equipment.

What brand are you selling?

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Whatever brand(s) you're selling learn it's history,it's strong and weak points and actual product thoroughly.I can always tell an order taker from a true salesman any day.

8. Thanks for the input everyone. Experience will definetly help in this line of work, along with some research. Thank you again!

9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

One other thought, get Protec to send you a Snowfighter Video. It will give you pretty good insight into what issues contractors dealer with.

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

find people that own what you are selling and ask for a ride along to see how the stuff is functioning